Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Oil Question-Shell ROTELLA

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 01:05 PM
waltmoe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Question-Shell ROTELLA

I was in my local WalMart the other day to buy some Shell ROTELLA 15-40. I am preparting to change my oil for the first time on this new engine.

The only product they had in stock was the NEW Triple Protection Shell ROTELLA 15-40. My question, is this new product backwards compatible with the 5.9 series Cummins engines? I have a 2007 3500, 5.9 engine.

Thanks

Old 04-22-2007, 03:24 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil Question-Shell ROTELLA

Yes the new CJ-4 oil can be used and the oil is backwards compatible for use in all 5.9 engines. That being said if you burn/use any of the older LSD then you have to shorten your oil drain interval in half as the new oil has a lower TBN and it was not made to handle the higher sulfur (500 PPM) that is in LSD fuel, as I understand it the higher sulfur breaks down the oil faster. Also the new CJ-4 should not be used for extended drain intervals unless UAO show that it is OK to do such. My self I will not use the new CJ-4 oil as long as they still make CI-4+ oil as it will hold up longer and it a better oil.

Quick Reply: Oil Question-Shell ROTELLA