Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Cracked Dash issues on the news .... for those of you who haven't seen this yet

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 07:20 AM
Charles Darwin
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cracked Dash issues on the news .... for those of you who haven't seen this yet

Several owners of 2001 Dodge Rams are reporting that the dashboards on their vehicles are mysteriously collapsing or cracking, possibly putting their lives in danger, according to a Local 6 News investigation.
Oh, oh, there is a hole in my dashboard. We are all going to die! Arghh!
Sounds stupid, but I guess we Europeans, well never fully understand your legal system (thank god).

Old 05-02-2007, 10:31 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cracked Dash issues on the news .... for those of you who haven't seen this yet

heck. . .Ive lived here all my life and stil have yet to understand the legal system here[:@]

Old 05-02-2007, 03:00 PM
lilfroger
Record Breaker

As for the wholes in the dash board putting lives at risk...what about the air bags? Isn't the passenger airbag in the dash board?

What if the supports around the airbag have been weakened? Could that obstruct the deployment of the airbag? Or could the plastic turn into shrapnel? That wouldn't be a good thing for anyone in the vehicle.

Not that I'm supporting the over dramatizing that happens in US courts when it comes to civil suits. I think it is just as ridicules as anyone else. But their might be some slight point.

Old 05-02-2007, 04:41 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: lilfroger

As for the wholes in the dash board putting lives at risk...what about the air bags? Isn't the passenger airbag in the dash board?

What if the supports around the airbag have been weakened? Could that obstruct the deployment of the airbag? Or could the plastic turn into shrapnel? That wouldn't be a good thing for anyone in the vehicle.

Not that I'm supporting the over dramatizing that happens in US courts when it comes to civil suits. I think it is just as ridicules as anyone else. But their might be some slight point.
The legal system here is "The lawyers get rich everybody else gets screwed"

Old 05-02-2007, 11:06 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

My dash is getting ready to break into 6 big pieces. You can already see the sink hole in the first picture. It is right above the radio. both of these pictures are looking in from the front. Sorry about all the dead bugs on the glass. The second picture shows several cranks above the gauges and steering wheel. This picture only shows about half of the cracks. There are several hairline cracks that did not show up in the picture. This is off of my 01 CTD. The sink hole showed up first about 2 years ago. Now there is one crack that goes from the front of the dash all the way to the sink hole. The sink hole has a crack that goes all the way from one defrost to the other. The pasenger side has not shown any cracks yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

[IMG]local://upfiles/23352/C5C8C49874734162BF4BFEFAFD94670B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/23352/F59A03FA624448EFA4442F4BAF8176CA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-02-2007, 11:13 PM
JotiGrains
Professional

Why does it do this? Do you think Dodge used cheaper plastic on the panneling, so it breaks easier, just to save money?

Old 05-03-2007, 12:33 AM
2000offroad

Well I agree that Dodge has a serious issue, with their dashs. The dash on my old 2000 1500 cracked and fell in, I had to buy a replacement dash from coverlay, which ran amound 270.00. It looked better then the original dash with huge holes, but it was not the exact same color andjust didn'tfit just right, close but not as close as I would have liked. Well My fathers dash on his 1998 ram is doing the same thing, So I really don't think this is just isolated to 2001 rams and he stated. There is something wrong with spending good hard earned money on a truck, taking good care of it and having it fall apart due to design/manufacture issue. I agree and believe that Dodge should step up and take care of this issue.

Quick Reply: Cracked Dash issues on the news .... for those of you who haven't seen this yet