Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

High egt's

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 06:35 PM
plasterman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High egt's

diesel demon or anyone,
My probe is pre turbo located about 4" if front of the Y where the manifold turns down to the turbo. I guess it could be a bad injector on any of the first 3 holes. Does anyone know ifI had a bad injector, would thatnot show up as a code?If so is there a test that would show a bad injector?

Old 05-05-2007, 07:19 PM
triton
Record Breaker
Default RE: High egt's

4" in front of the Y sounds like it's right in front of the first cylinder. IIRC, number 1 and number 6 ports are where you're going to see the highest EGT's.

I'd think if you did have a bad injector, it would surely throw a code. The optimal place to have installed the probe would have been right in front of #3 cylinder just before the Y.

Have you ruled out a bad probe and/or gauge ?

Old 05-06-2007, 03:30 PM
plasterman

The only other thing is I had the shop who put my edge in also do the other work (strait pipe) I aked them to put a piece of pipe through the CAT so I could have a true strait pipe. They told me that they could bang the stuff out of the cat. Do you think that could be the reason? Could there be a piece still stuck in the cat blocking the flow. I don't know what the cat is made of or what it had in it but thought I would throw that out to see.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:51 PM
cmnspwr
Veteran

Are you seeing any white/blue smoke? Loss of MPG?

Old 05-06-2007, 11:29 PM
triton
Record Breaker

That very well could be the case. A blocked cat will surely make your truck run like crap and will get to the point it won't run at all. Thsi is based on my knowledge of gasser cats. I would think the same goes for diesels.

I'm very surprised you were able to get a shop to do that. They could get a huge fine for that. Are you sure they even did it ?

I did just that to my 1500. It took a good while to get it all out and I thought I got it all... took off down the road and it died. After a couple more times I finally got it all.

You could be seeing white smoke because of the pieces of cat gut are burning off ??? If it is blocked.... I'd say that's your reason for the higher EGT's.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:33 AM
plasterman

I have never done a hand calc on fuel milage but the meter says I am getting 22 to 28 mpg depending on the speed empty.

As far as the truck running good it's the best. I wish I could complain. I can't beleve how good it pulls and the milage all that stuff.

I have about 20,000 miles since trouble started. I think the shop that I had do the work did at least try to cleanout the cat. There is a dent in the side you can't see on the cat where they broke lose what ever is in a cat and I also find waffle marks the rest of the way around the cat from a framing hammer.

What is in a cat? is it hard or is it like steel wool?

Old 05-07-2007, 03:51 AM
jakebrake
Champion

It's a mesh of different metals and such.

Quick Reply: High egt's