Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Driving/Fog lights!?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007 | 11:17 PM
SpLaT
|
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving/Fog lights!?

Anyone know what these lights draw amperage wise, I installed Road Armor front and back bumpers on my 2005 3500 QC. I'm installing4 Light Force offroad/driving lights, they came with a 25amp 12V relay (for each set), I'm hoping to wireone setdirectly to the OEM(driving/fog light) harnesses. Would be nice to still use the headlamp control for the new "driving/fog" lights. The other set will be wired to a seperate switch in the cab for off road use. After I get lights wired up and truck washed I'll snap a couple pics for Mayfair ..

Old 05-16-2007 | 10:56 AM
cumminalong
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Driving/Fog lights!?

As long as you use the OEM wire to activate the relay and not actually power the lights you'll be fine. Then the actual current draw is from the battery and not loaded onto your factory wiring.

The actual amperage to the the lights is Watts/volts = amperage

55 w / 12 volts = 4.58

4.58 x 4 lights = 18.3 amps

This "should" be okay, bu from experience, anything more than two 55 watt lights on a factory light circuit will overload it.

Old 05-16-2007 | 08:12 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Driving/Fog lights!?

Roger on what Jake said. Use the factory wiring to control the relay. Then run a dedicated, FUSED supply wire directly from the batteries to power the lights. Four lamps should not be a problem.

What is the factory alt amperage these days?

Good luck with your ride.

Quick Reply: Driving/Fog lights!?