Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Do all rams have the anti slip diff?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007 | 02:09 AM
sallyman1
|
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do all rams have the anti slip diff?

i have a 2004 ram 2500 4X4 CTD. It says in glovebox 3.73 ratio and anti-slip. That means posi all the time doesnt it? are all 2500 and 3500 like this?

Old 05-16-2007 | 02:26 AM
squirtbottle09
Record Breaker
Default RE: Do all rams have the anti slip diff?

No all rams do not have anti slip. And it is the same as a posi just a differnt company. What is does is engages when one wheel begins to loose power. With 4x4s it isnt good because it sends all the power in the front to the wheel with the least traction, so in mud you just sink down to one side. The anti-slip allows you to turn on dry roads as well because the tires can spin at different speeds, but keep you moving on wet roads because it will grab.

Old 05-16-2007 | 02:50 AM
sharx ram
Champion

You could also get them with lockers in them which is what mine has.

Old 05-16-2007 | 10:07 AM
Joel_MD
Captain

When I ordered my 2007 Ram 2500, the anti-slip rear diff was a $300 option. The word "posi" is an abbreviated form of the Chevrolet trademark "Positraction" that they developed in the 1950s. It's just the name that Chevy gave to a clutch-type limited slip diff.

When sharx ram says you can get them with lockers, he means you can install aftermarket locking mechanisms (Detriot Locker, ARB Air Locker, etc) to your front and rear differentials. Lockers have never been available as factory options.

Wikipedia has good articles on the topics of limited slip and locking differentials, if you want to learn more about them.

Old 05-16-2007 | 11:11 AM
sallyman1
|
Captain

so with antislip you will sink in mud to one side or without it you will? antislip makes the trucks a lil hard to corner as well compared to non posi?right

Old 05-16-2007 | 04:34 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

ORIGINAL: sallyman1

so with antislip you will sink in mud to one side or without it you will? antislip makes the trucks a lil hard to corner as well compared to non posi?right
Axles with open diffs (no anti-slip or locker) will always corner better, although the ARB Air Locker should corner just fine when it's not engaged.

The anti-slip diff has clutches to help turn the other shaft, but allow slippage to help with cornering. They can only transmit a max of 80% of the torque from the slipping side to the side with better traction. If you abuse them by a lot of heavy off-roading, mudding, etc, you can burn up the clutches.

The lockers are more beefy, and tend to engage with a clunk when one side starts to slip. Years ago I read about a locker called the Powertrax No-Slip Differential, which is supposed to be smooth like an anti-slip without using clutches. I don't know anybody who uses a Powertrax, but it sounds really good.

Old 05-16-2007 | 04:38 PM
bigmike
Professional

i do believe that the third gen rams with the AAM axles use a gear driven anti-spin with no clutch packs to wear out.

Old 05-16-2007 | 08:29 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: bigmike

i do believe that the third gen rams with the AAM axles use a gear driven anti-spin with no clutch packs to wear out.
BINGO!!!!

this is why 3rd gen axels do not require friction modifyer.

sometimes they work. . .sometimes they dont, mine has always worked when one wheel begins the peg leg. some have stated that you need to apply the brakes a bit to bring up a load onto the axel to get the worm gears to engage.

Old 05-17-2007 | 12:56 AM
Wish4vip

ORIGINAL: hildenja

Axles with open diffs (no anti-slip or locker) will always corner better, although the ARB Air Locker should corner just fine when it's not engaged.

The anti-slip diff has clutches to help turn the other shaft, but allow slippage to help with cornering. They can only transmit a max of 80% of the torque from the slipping side to the side with better traction. If you abuse them by a lot of heavy off-roading, mudding, etc, you can burn up the clutches.

The lockers are more beefy, and tend to engage with a clunk when one side starts to slip. Years ago I read about a locker called the Powertrax No-Slip Differential, which is supposed to be smooth like an anti-slip without using clutches. I don't know anybody who uses a Powertrax, but it sounds really good.
I have a Powertrax No-Slip in my Tundra. It's a full locker when any bit of torque is applied. When I let off the gas and turn or brake, it disengages. They say it is street friendly because it has small springs in it which keep it from clicking around corners like the Powertrax Lock-Right. It is in that sense but my family hates to drive it! It isn't a quick learn.

I love mine because it's a true locker when I need it most. It won't slip like an LSD or anti-slip rear when I'm in the sticky stuff,yet it still lets me go around corners if i back off.

But this isn't for everyone....many guys can't stand it because it causes under-steer around a fast corner if you stay on the gas. Here's the page for everyone: http://www.powertrax.com/

Old 05-17-2007 | 01:00 AM
sallyman1
|
Captain

so the ANTI-SLIP thats in my 2004 ram2500 dodge does make it harder to corner doesnt it? Is it a bad diff? Can i just add 75/90 synthetic to it when changing or do i need additives? i noticed it feels kinda funny when cornering.

Quick Reply: Do all rams have the anti slip diff?