Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

96 CTD INFO WANTED

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 12:17 AM
Watermelon
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 CTD INFO WANTED

Alright 12 valve guys Im looking to buy a 96 4x4 auto CTD and need to know what to look for and the pros and cons Ive only ever had the 24 valve. I know I wont get as many horses but that doesnt matter. The truck has 126k on it and it looks brand new. I dont believe its been worked at all. Its cleaner than my 04[:@]Any info would be appreciated.

Old 05-19-2007, 12:25 AM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 96 CTD INFO WANTED

Who says you won't get as many horses?...lol.

Build it right and you'll slaughter any 24 valve, that's 4 sure.

Being it's a 96' I would inspect the brake and fuel lines, the condition of the radiator, the sound of the motor (valves), and any skipping or rods sounds. Check the diff covers, see if they are soaked. Getting a look at the steering components is a must. And if they guy is still driving it, check the fluids. See where the levels are at.

The tranny can feel good and **** itself the next day. See if ther guy has records.

Good luck.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:37 AM
Ralph78
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 96 CTD INFO WANTED

ORIGINAL: Watermelon

Alright 12 valve guys Im looking to buy a 96 4x4 auto CTD and need to know what to look for and the pros and cons Ive only ever had the 24 valve. I know I wont get as many horses but that doesnt matter. The truck has 126k on it and it looks brand new. I dont believe its been worked at all. Its cleaner than my 04[:@]Any info would be appreciated.
If the price is right, GET IT!

You can always fix the missc. "stuff". I would check on past posts about the front suspension, I don't know anything about those, as mine is RWD. If the Oil pressure is OK, and you have some proof that the truck has been well maintained, then you can't go wrong. The transmissions and Torque Converters are a week link, but once overhauled by a good shop the transmissions are reliable, and you can get an ATS five star torque converter, and never need to worry about the TC again, as long as you change fluid every 15,000 miles.(complete drain).

Quick Reply: 96 CTD INFO WANTED