Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Programmer/Chip traces

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 11:38 AM
DSmith1178
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programmer/Chip traces

Here is a stupid question, but if you are going to take in your truck for service, obviously you want to remove all possible traces of a chip/programmer. Now everybody says that those products leave traces in the computer. Im not an electronices expert at all, but I was thinking. If you disconnect battery power for 30 mins or so, doesnt the computer have to relearn everything when the batteries are connected again. Are these so called "foot prints" still stored in the system?? Oh....anybody have an idea why me Edge Attitude screen would just go blank. I can push buttons and here beeps so it has power. As soon as I turn the truck off and start it back up it works fine again.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:21 PM
CamperAndy
Rookie
Default RE: Programmer/Chip traces

Tough to answer two very different questions in one thread and keep track of things. I contacted edge about your first question as I had the same concernand they said it does not leave any data in the ECU but you may want to call and ask for yourself. You also will want to call and see about getting a new Attitude. Mine does not turn off unless I turn the key off.

Old 05-24-2007, 12:51 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Edge, TST, quadzilla, Van Aaken, and other box manufacturers do not replace the ECM programming, they only manipulate the signals that are comeing from the ECM. Bullydog, superchips, Smarty, and other downloaders actualy replace the ECM programming, this is where most of the problems may arise.

what normaly tips off dealerships of a programmer/downloader are the key cycles are odd for the mileage of the vehicle, or the hour meter is off. Another clue is the ECM's are actualy storing information of the engine parameters and how it was running right to the point where it stopped running. this will tell what cause the engine to do what it did.

now, as long as you remain within the safe operating ranges of the box you wont have a problem. one more thing, so far from what I have seen around the net, the Smarty box has yet to be detected by the dealer

Old 05-24-2007, 10:10 PM
htgriffith
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had my truck in the shop on two different occasions. Before going I re programed my ECM with the bulldog programmer. Their were no traces at all. And yes they did hook up and check. I was standing beside him sweating bullets.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:25 AM
usafr
All Star

When I bought mine in, they didn't find anything from the programmer. What they did say is that the ECM showed that the day before it logged some kind of something that it had been messed with. I think they are full of crap and just a crappy dealer who didn't want to fix the truck,,, but then again. I contacted Bully Dog before and they told me that the programmer won't leave any tracks.

Quick Reply: Programmer/Chip traces