Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Optimum Fuel Mileage How????

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 07:55 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Optimum Fuel Mileage How????

ORIGINAL: Captain Squalus

ORIGINAL: jimmydaleo

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

I have no idea what a "star wheel" even is. I too have a 98, however I have the 24 valve not the 12. As far as mileage goes, I'm deep in the toilet compaired to these guy's. I'm getting mid 13's adding 1oz of 2 stroke per gallon of diesel..

Sucks ....
Mayfair I just squeezed 720 miles out of one tank.
Do you want me to send you a roll of TP?

[IMG]local://upfiles/56817/8DD3F3B0D5F6488997AB977D0DD68B5B.jpg[/IMG]
I need some of that to facilitate the guest bathroom, that may keep the in-laws away.
The best way to keep the outlaws away is to ask to baro (sp) money every time they come.
Mother in Law got me good one time. invited about 9 people to breakfast, Me and my family included. when paying I was going to get the car, my son and my wife were by mother in law at the cashier. I get a loud yell from wife to come over there. I do and find out mother in laws card declined. With a stupid look on her face, My wife asked me to pay, One day I might get paid back for that one.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:19 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker

I have no idea what a "star wheel" even is. I too have a 98, however I have the 24 valve not the 12. As far as mileage goes, I'm deep in the toilet compaired to these guy's. I'm getting mid 13's adding 1oz of 2 stroke per gallon of diesel..

Sucks ....

I need some of that to facilitate the guest bathroom, that may keep the in-laws away.
The best way to keep the outlaws away is to ask to baro (sp) money every time they come.
Mother in Law got me good one time. invited about 9 people to breakfast, Me and my family included. when paying I was going to get the car, my son and my wife were by mother in law at the cashier. I get a loud yell from wife to come over there. I do and find out mother in laws card declined. With a stupid look on her face, My wife asked me to pay, One day I might get paid back for that one.
Yea right after the day that you can ice skate from Key West to Havana.

Old 05-29-2007, 08:56 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

Sucks ....

Yea right after the day that you can ice skate from Key West to Havana.
shall I lace the skates up now? [sm=headbang.gif]

Old 05-30-2007, 02:50 PM
zerodog

Man my 05 is getting 16 around town and 18-19 @ 70-75mph pulling my little motorcycle trailer and camping gear on the highway. I drive like an old lady though.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:55 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

I wish mine was getting that mileage, I am at the average of 16 range majority highway, but I can easily live with that, this morning I paid 2.71 for diesel.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:31 PM
sabersix

I don't think it's hurting.

My last fill up I think I got 13.4, whereas I usually got 13.6 mpg. The truck DEFINATELY runs quieter I know that.

LOL Captain .... that's pretty much how I feel at every fill up. I just don't get it though. I thought the engines were the same in the 2nd gens as they are in the 3rd gens. Why such a major difference between the two mileage wise? It can't ALL be my driving. I know you guy's drive similar to me. What's the diff ??
Mayfair, have you adjusted your speedometer for the non-standard tires? I believe 245/75/16 is standard for your truck and your running 265/70/17 which means your speedometer is running 3.7% too slow. If you haven't adjusted the speedometer, then you are actually getting around 14.1 mpg. Not much difference, but better than a kick in the nuts. On the positive side, your racking up less miles on the odometer.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:44 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyway. . .back to the mileage subject

the star wheel just advances the fueling rate. by turning it twards the engine you allow the P7100 injector pump to fuel at a higher rate, by turning it away from the engine you 'lean' the engine out. you can accomplish this by useing a flathead screwdriver and an 8mm allen head to remove the plug. it my take a little untill you get the star wheel set right. I believe the best way would be to start the engine and while idling crank it back away from the engine untill you hear it start to run rough. . .then turn it to where it smooths out and your done. DieselDemon should chime in before too long as long as his wrists arent hurting him too much.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:57 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: sabersix

Mayfair, have you adjusted your speedometer for the non-standard tires? I believe 245/75/16 is standard for your truck and your running 265/70/17 which means your speedometer is running 3.7% too slow. If you haven't adjusted the speedometer, then you are actually getting around 14.1 mpg. Not much difference, but better than a kick in the nuts. On the positive side, your racking up less miles on the odometer.
No, I haven't adjusted it yet. How did you calculate the difference? Thanks for maing me feel better !! Even though 14.1 isn't great, at least I'm outta the 13's !!

Old 05-30-2007, 06:21 PM
samahi72

ORIGINAL: Drew

anyway. . .back to the mileage subject

the star wheel just advances the fueling rate. by turning it twards the engine you allow the P7100 injector pump to fuel at a higher rate, by turning it away from the engine you 'lean' the engine out. you can accomplish this by useing a flathead screwdriver and an 8mm allen head to remove the plug. it my take a little untill you get the star wheel set right. I believe the best way would be to start the engine and while idling crank it back away from the engine untill you hear it start to run rough. . .then turn it to where it smooths out and your done. DieselDemon should chime in before too long as long as his wrists arent hurting him too much.
I don't even know where the star wheel is located???? Any body have any pictures that I could see? Also when you say "turn it back away from the engine, are you talking about turning it clockwise?? Thanks

Old 05-30-2007, 06:35 PM
sabersix

No, I haven't adjusted it yet. How did you calculate the difference? Thanks for maing me feel better !! Even though 14.1 isn't great, at least I'm outta the 13's !!
Sorry, I used this website.

Quick Reply: Optimum Fuel Mileage How????