Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Anyone good with front-end work?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 04:47 PM
Batphreak
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone good with front-end work?

Here's the deal, I gotta put ball joints in my truck and I'm struggling with which ones I really need. I've been checking with 3 places: MOPAR, Quad 4x4, and Rockauto. MOPAR and Quad show aboutthe same thing, ~$200 for all 4 joints, and they're the same from '94 thru '99. Rock is where it gets interesting, for my '98 the best thing they show is the Moog units for $32 upper and $47 lower, if you back up a year for a '97 the same Moog units are shown, and there are some nifty greaseable Spicer units (they're only $10 each for all 4). Plus, if you go forward 1 year, the Moog units are no longer shown, and the Spicer ones are the only ones shown. The other places I've looked all say '94-'99 are the same, so I'm thinking I can put the Spicer ones in my axle. Yes, I've considered that I'll probably "get what I paid for" but heck, they're greaseable, I know of people that have put the spicers in older trucks and they get the same results the guys who pop for the Moog units do, plus I can replace 3 of the spicers for the price of 1 Moog. I guinea pig'd myself and ordered 1 of each upper unit, I'll measure them to see if they're the same. Just figured I'dmention it here to see if anyone has worked on these things and has an answer on the axles being the same.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:11 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion
Default RE: Anyone good with front-end work?

got a couple kids so must be workign the front end alright[8D] Seriously though I don't know.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:54 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be wondering what the dementions are of the ones you have currently on your front end.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:27 AM
Batphreak
Veteran

Ok, I know its been a while for this thread. But, I bought 1 of each ball joint (uppers anyway) and compared them. They measured the same, no real noticeable difference between the 2.

Left is the Spicer joint, right is the Moog one. Both are greaseable.

So, a couple weeks ago I installed the Spicer joints in my truck that weren't supposed to fit. They fit just fine, I'll let everyone know if they fail early on me or anything, but so far I'm quite happy with the decision to get the ones I did. Just before the install I happened to hear from some serious rock crawling guys, they said the Moogs are nice and the warranty is great, but they break them all the time, they've started putting the spicer joints in because they just wear out instead of breaking. Guess I'll have to see for myself.

Old 07-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to me the spicer joints look beefier

Quick Reply: Anyone good with front-end work?