Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

EGT location

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 03:30 AM
lilfroger
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGT location

So I've decided I want to add a Boost Gauge and an EGT gauge in the truck. Now here is the million dollar question....

My Jake Brake has a port for an EGT already in the elbow. But is this the best place to put it? I don't do a whole bunch of heavy towing or drag racing. So I figure someone in the middle of the pipe is good. I figure drilling a new hole for the probe is just asking for trouble if I've already got one set.

So is there a huge difference in setting the EGT sensor in different places?

Old 06-12-2007, 03:34 AM
jakebrake
Champion
Default RE: EGT location

Basically if you put the egt in the exhaust manifold, you see what the head is doing. If you put it after the turbo, you see what the turbo is doing. If your not modding the crap out of it, I would put it after the turbo as this allows you to see how hot the turbo is before shut down.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:33 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the bung is already there. . .go for it. that way you dont have to drill one yourself.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Mayfair
Legend

After is where I plan on mounting mine as well. If I ever DO decide to mod the crap out of my truck, then I'll just add another pyro gauge and then I'll mount it before.

Quick Reply: EGT location