Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Oil, filter, tranny fluid

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 03:47 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Oil, filter, tranny fluid

AudioAndrew,

I don’t think it’s a good idea to use the CJ-4 5w40 oil in your truck, use either their 15w40 or 5w30 HDD CI-4+ oil. The new CJ-4 oil has a lower TBN number and may not hold up as well as CI-4+ oil, it is more or less recommended for use in the new 6.7L engine. Yes it can be used but is not recommended for extend drain intervals so you need to change it out every 7500 miles unless UOA reports back that it is good for longer use.

Oh I had my local dealer pick up my oil while he was at the warehouse so I’m not sure how long it takes for shipping. Also I know my guy will sell me oil for what I pay at the warehouse and I don’t have to worry about shipping if I need some before he goes back to the warehouse for more oil. One thing I like is if he picks it up at the warehouse in Superior, WI for me I pay 1.5% less in sales tax then if I buy it here locally, but it’s a small price for having oil any time I run out.

Old 06-17-2007, 03:03 AM
AudioAndrew

DBLR, I wish I had read your post before I ordered the 5w40 premium amsoil, but it should do pretty good. Most of the fuel stations around here are selling ULSD only now and that should help with the lower TBN. I'm probably going to use Drew's Brew of Kleen Diesel and Marvel Mystery Oil to keep the fuel system in good shape.

Old 06-17-2007, 05:42 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

ORIGINAL: AudioAndrew

DBLR, I wish I had read your post before I ordered the 5w40 premium amsoil, but it should do pretty good. Most of the fuel stations around here are selling ULSD only now and that should help with the lower TBN. I'm probably going to use Drew's Brew of Kleen Diesel and Marvel Mystery Oil to keep the fuel system in good shape.
Don't rule out good ol' Lucas.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:38 AM
Bigriver

I've used Lucas for many years also. I recently had a problem with over estimating my mixture rate with the PSD & MMO combination. I'm now trying out Stanadyne products. I beleive they're worth looking at also.
As for Asmoil products, they have very recently come out with a Synthectic Severe Gear differencial lube in the 75w110 weight. Prior to that release you would have to decide between 75w 90 or 75w140. I ordered the 75w110 due to it's middle of the road qualities. I've always used synthectic Mobil 1 since they were introduced in the early ninties. I've switched to Amsoil for their diesel oil and gear lube products.
Good luck on your choices.......

Old 06-18-2007, 12:47 AM
AudioAndrew

I appreciate all the advice. The stuff should come in late this week, so I'll try to get it changed out this coming weekend and let you all know how it goes. You all have been a big help!

Old 06-18-2007, 10:40 PM
AudioAndrew

I was surprised to see the UPS truck pull in the driveway this afternoon, but he had most of my Amsoil already. The only thing I'm waiting for is the Wix filters. I guess they ship from separate warehouses. I bought my dad an oil drain tub for father's day and changed the oil in my mom's van today, so I'm geared up and ready to go to work on my Cummins!

Quick Reply: Oil, filter, tranny fluid