Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

AC Problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 12:52 PM
steven61
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC Problems

trying to help my dad out, he has a 2000 dodge diesel truck with intermittent ac problems.
when driving with the ac on, if you come to a stop or slow down abruptly the ac sometimes starts blowing hot, turn the dial over to heat and back to cold sometimes fixes the problem.
also the dial seems to not have any "middle" all hot or all cold. he has taken it to the dealer four times, they say they never heard of the problem before. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:07 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: AC Problems

When the A/C does blow cold, is the temp sufficient?

I would inspect the vacuum lines for a leak, broken line, and bad check valves. Sounds like your blend door servo may not have proper vacuum.

Good luck with your ride.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:37 PM
R0oster31
Veteran

yea mine does the same thing. If you get it figured out let me know. I took mine in to the dealer and they said all the motors worked but one of the internal doors was broken. They said they weren't sure exactly which one and said it would be 1200 bucks to fix. I said thanks for the diagnostic, I'll fix it myself.I know one of the people that works at the dealer and went to talk to them, they said those doors are like 10 bucks and the rest was labor. I haven't gotten around to tearing that apart, I suppose I could do that while I have the sticks out.

Old 06-18-2007, 09:36 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: R0oster31

yea mine does the same thing. If you get it figured out let me know. I took mine in to the dealer and they said all the motors worked but one of the internal doors was broken. They said they weren't sure exactly which one and said it would be 1200 bucks to fix. I said thanks for the diagnostic, I'll fix it myself.I know one of the people that works at the dealer and went to talk to them, they said those doors are like 10 bucks and the rest was labor. I haven't gotten around to tearing that apart, I suppose I could do that while I have the sticks out.
I take it thatyou've never seen how labor intensive it is to get to that $10 door........LOL.

It's a LOT of work.It personally took me 2 SOLID days to take it apart and mark where everything went.

I would double check that vacuum circuit first. Most guys on here find that a check valve ends up being the problem.

Good luck with your ride.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:29 AM
R0oster31
Veteran

On my year the blend door is an electric door, all the other doors in the system are vacuum. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the one that is broken is the electric one. To me it makes sense that it would be the one not working because I can select where the air comes from just not the temp. Yea I looked into how much work it is going to be, that's why I haven't done it yet. Take out the dash, drain the ac, drain the radiator, disconnect all the hoses; it's going to be fun.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:59 AM
1200 hp DODGE RAM

LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING. connect the tranformers to the acoustic matter from the front gauge to make prior to the collin being cleaned in the get go. Step 2 retrain wire the gasket wire from the bracket to the spark plug. Step 3 last step. make sure the fan diagnoses the air being filtered during the process. Your good to go. DODGE MAKES IT HEMI OR (CUMMINS)SHAKES IT. THANKS FOR YOUR TIME HAVE A GOOD ONE

Old 06-19-2007, 06:37 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

also check the freon level in the system.

Quick Reply: AC Problems