Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

99' overdrive shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 01:38 PM
bradp337
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99' overdrive shifting problem

It seems like around the 40-45mph range my truck cant decide weather it wants to be in overdrive or not. has anyone else had this problem and if so what was wrong with the trans?

Old 06-18-2007, 02:38 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 99' overdrive shifting problem

I would remove and clean current TPS,and make sure the tranny wiring harnesses are as debris free as they can be.

Check the tranny fluid level, andyour battery connections.

There is one other thing I would check. Take a look at your brake light switch plunger to make sure it is set to the proper depth. If that switch wears out, (which is completely normal), it will make the TC lock/unlock almost continuously. It may not be your specific problem, I have seen it about a dozen times in my life. Just tossin it out there.

Good luck with your ride.

Old 07-05-2007, 09:09 PM
sunchaser5.9

Hello guys; I am new to this site and my CTDand it sure seems like a lot of info is available thru your experiences. I read the above post from Bradp337 and it seems like the same problem I have had the last 2 days with my OD popping in and out between 40-50. I was wondering if he got the problem fixed?

2000 CTD
2 WD
5' Pipe
Cold Air Intake
Tornado
Bully Dog Torque Dog Module
Outstanding MPG

Old 07-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I can almost gaurantee you that it's a bad ground.

Believe it or not, I had the same problem last year andI took it to probably the last honest tranny shop in America. He told me to throughly clean the battery terminals and ground at the block and if I was still having the problem to come back. It's been over a year now and the truck still shifts fine.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:03 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also check the wireing harness and make sure none of the wires are being chaffed in any way.

this is a common problem with the 98-00 trucks.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:10 PM
sunchaser5.9

Thanks for the replies Drew/Mayfair. I will get this thing up on the lift today and look her over real good. I just got back from our local dealer and they said the tps was a common problem on these trucks and they would be happy to get me one---at a cost of 500.00, holy s__t. robbery without a gun........Randy

Old 07-06-2007, 12:18 PM
Mayfair
Legend

While the TPS may or may not be a common problem, the bad ground thig DEFINATELY is a common problem. It was covered in some sort of Tranny World magazine or something like that. It's distributed at tranny shops exclusively. The guy at the tranny shop showed me the article. It had just come out a month before I took my truck in ... lucky me.

My terminals weren't THAT bad, but they did have a little corrosion. Obviously it was enough to cause a problem. After cleaning them up I sprayed them with some sort of purple Permatex stuff that's supposed to protect them.

BTW: [sm=welcomesign.gif]

Quick Reply: 99' overdrive shifting problem