Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Time to replace my tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 05:09 PM
DBinsbachar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time to replace my tires

I am new. Read a lot of the posts but don't see that any of them tell me what might be the best tire to use if I want to make my truck look more aggressive without lifting it. My HOA won't allow it! I am considering 295/70/17 BFG All Terrain TA KO. Heard some good things about them. I now have BFG Rugged Trail TA 265/70/17. They have held up great. I have 45K and still not shot. Not only would I like tires that are taller, but a little wider. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:12 PM
jakebrake
Champion
Default RE: Time to replace my tires

Not sure for fleet side tire sizes, but I recently put on toyo m55's 255/85r16's and these things are great. Mud,snow,ice,rain they do great in all. I went ahead and had mine sipped too.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:16 PM
FroneDaddy
Captain

I have 285/75/17's coopers on mine, very agressive tread. Great tire. They're big but not too big, they were new when I bought the truck, so it will be a while until I go bigger.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:39 PM
jh
Rookie

I have Toyo AT's and love them so far. I have heard that the BFG's are more prone to "death wobble" but don't have any first hand knowledge of that. I'm sure more guys will chime in with their experiences with different brands of tires. Lots of info here that will certainly help you out.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:47 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

Welcome to the forum. I have 315/70/17 bfg all terrains on mine, I have no death wobble as people talk about and they are not bad tires. my next set will be ither pro-comp x terrains, or pro comp extreme all terrains.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:56 PM
DBinsbachar

Thanks for the info. Why Pro Comp?Wouldit matter that most of my mileage is Highway, pulling my boat or camper?

Old 06-30-2007, 06:00 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

Are you saying your home owners' association does not allow a vehicle with a lift? Would that include a 2" leveling kit? That seems ridiculous.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:06 PM
DBinsbachar

Yes it is my Home owners association.If you are not aware they are big in Florida. I have heard that I could challenge it; however, not prone to do so. Life's too short. I suspect thata front end lift would not cause a problem. In doing so, would I be able to increase the size of the tire by anything substantial? I also failed to mentinon that I use my truck to pull my boat and camper. Both are not small. I travel to NC a lot with the camper and to the Keyes with the boat.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:13 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

My opinion and experince with the BFG's is that they suck... not enough grip in wet weather left me with 4 locked tires and sitting 1/4 way into an intersection on more than 1 occasion. they dont wear well and the off road peformance IMO is not that great, based on my own experience.

I have the pro comp xtreme at's and have been really happy with them. they are lasting a long time (42~44k on mine with lots of tread left), they have handled every off roading situation I put my truck into extremely well and have never left me stuck to the point where I need a tow to get out.

I like them alot and highly recommend them.

as for a lift... you can easily go with d25 skyjacker springs to level your truck out some and put in some Lorenz mini leaf packs for the rear. I can still fit mine in the garage and the look & functionality of the setup is great. I got about 1/2~1" of rear lift & 2.5" in the front. a leveling kit will get you 2" which can come from the dealer like that.

Sorry to hear about your HOA problems... HOA's suck

Old 06-30-2007, 07:47 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

ORIGINAL: DBinsbachar

Thanks for the info. Why Pro Comp?Wouldit matter that most of my mileage is Highway, pulling my boat or camper?
I like the pro comps for many reasons, A friend of mine a had Chby 2500 that he used to pull a 32 foot toy hauler and put many miles on 35/12.5 x terrains and never had a problem getting stuck, they look nice and wear great. Personally don't have a problem with the bfg's Hell they win baja races all the time, but I like the look of the procomps as well.

Quick Reply: Time to replace my tires