Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

No Crank

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 10:24 PM
fthorsby
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Crank

Hello I am new to this forum, but have owned several Dodge trucks. Right now, my 2006 2500 CTD
with a six-speed manual tranny is sitting in a parking lot. It won't crank, power lights come on Ok, starter just won't kick in, a few times I had to push the clutch in a few times to get the starter engaged. I assume, it is the safety switch on the clutch linkage. I will take it to the dealer tomorrow, at any rate (20,000 miles) My big question is, is there a way to bypass the switch to get it started and take it to the dealer or do I just have to suck it up and have it towed?

Old 07-01-2007, 11:01 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: No Crank

I'm not sure of the exact location of the neutral start switch for us sticks. . .but I can imagine if you jumper the switch leads you'll be able to get it to start.

makes a nice security feature looking at it in a different light

Old 07-01-2007, 11:55 PM
fthorsby

Ok thanks. I guess I'm just glad it didn't while we ere on vaction, about 1500 miles away. We just got home and it quit. (Wouldn't crank)

Old 07-02-2007, 03:10 AM
jakebrake
Champion

Should be up on the clutch pedal assembly, just jump them wires together. Or go underneath the truck and jump the big pos post on the soleniod to the little post (I) terminal on the soleniod with the key in the on position. Make damn sure the truck is in neutral if you do it either way.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:29 AM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

ORIGINAL: fthorsby

Hello I am new to this forum, but have owned several Dodge trucks. Right now, my 2006 2500 CTD
with a six-speed manual tranny is sitting in a parking lot. It won't crank, power lights come on Ok, starter just won't kick in, a few times I had to push the clutch in a few times to get the starter engaged. I assume, it is the safety switch on the clutch linkage. I will take it to the dealer tomorrow, at any rate (20,000 miles) My big question is, is there a way to bypass the switch to get it started and take it to the dealer or do I just have to suck it up and have it towed?
YOUR WARRANTY WILL PAY FOR TOW TO NEAREST DEALER, OR ONE OF YOUR CHOICE.

CALL THE 800 NUMBER FOR DODGE .

Old 07-02-2007, 09:39 AM
fthorsby

I just hate the thought of seeing my little truck on the back of a wrecker! I'll call the dealer, but will try the solenoid short to try and start it.

Old 07-02-2007, 11:08 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

The same thing happened to my 96 1500.I was able to start the truck by opening the box under the hood with the relays and fuses, and jumping the two wires on the starter relay. It's a lot safer than crawling under the truck and shorting out the posts.

Turned out it was the key cylinder that had broke inside the column. Everything would light up and come on when you turned the key, just would not turn over the starter. I had to take it to the dealer to get the new cylinder re-keyed to the old keys, and the service manager told me that they see about 1 a week that break off like mine did.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:13 PM
R0oster31
Veteran

It could have something to do with the slave cylinder too. That is on the driver's side of the transmission and if that came loose somehow or is not disengaging the clutch all the way that could do it.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:43 PM
fthorsby

Well, there it went on the back of a flatbed, I couldn't get it started and neither could the wrecker driver. We even tried to push it and jump start it, no good. The dealer is checking it out and I will post back the solution.

Quick Reply: No Crank