Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Modification Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 09:53 PM
kg1687
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modification Help

Irecently bought a 03 Dodge and now I'm looking to do some modifications to it.
It has aprox 123k, 4x4, NV5600 Please inform if you would need to know anything else to help me some more.
Right now I want to change the intercooler, I'm debating on putting either a BD Power intercooler or banks, which would probably be better in this case? Also chip wise I'm fairly confused due to the fact that most chips brag about pulling out power but i'm more interested in pulling in mileage. I was told Bully Dog had good chips for mileage and power and also edge was good and also BD Power was good so I'm really confused. Also will straight piping your cummins help with mileage? I'm also confused on cold air intake? Banks claims to have the best but they all do so which would be a cleaner air intake or are they all pretty similar? I was also considering on changing my stock dodge turbo out to a BD Power turbo, does anyone else know of any other turbo's that are reliable and produce more stock power? Or any modifications that will help me more? I really don't want to rely to heavily on my chip, I would rather have the engine running at peak condition and then chip it to help with fuel and air managment and in the edge's case timing. I also hope to have a better flow exhaust manifold. Another thing is I took out my silencer ring and no longer have a catalytic converter and currently running a banks monster exhaust. which is 4' but I made an adapter to fit the stock 3 1/2' Thanks.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:09 PM
finny
All Star
Default RE: Modification Help

probly best would be is to add guages first. then exhaust, intake, chip,intercooler,bigger turbo or twin, injectors. or you could just be like triton and get a engine custom built for you. theres my 2 cents. im a noob so dont listen to me.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:23 AM
kg1687
Veteran

Appreciate it, I've been looking at gauges, the chip is one of the later modifications I want to do to my truck, also how do you like your edge? What were the results compared before and after? I was hoping to follow through in this manner, if someone has any better ideas please feel free. Short Shift, Shutdown timer, Cold air intake, exhaust (finish it up, make it nicer), Bigger intercooler with something like a banks big ram, Exhaust manifold, Possibly injectors (depends if I can find some fuel efficient ones or if mine go bad first), High performance clutch, then turbo, then chip. maybe i missed something or got something out of order.either way that's why i'm asking I would really like some opinions here. Appreciate it.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:31 AM
jakebrake
Champion

First things first is gauges. Then an air intake and exhuast. After that I would put a box in it, either edge or a tst. With that then you'll need a better clutch to take advantage of the high settingson the box. then I would replace the lift pump. Depending on what your egts are getting, I would do a turbo, I 've talked to a few guys about exhaust manifolds and they say don't bother (money can be better spent other places). Then I would do the intake and air to air. After that if your still not happy, injectors.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:45 AM
kg1687
Veteran

One of the questions I have, what chip is tst? And also what is settingson? thanks for your advice.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:03 AM
finny
All Star

i like the edge comp. it gives better milage (havent calculated it yet) and lots more juise when i need it.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:43 PM
savage.basher

One of the questions I have, what chip is tst? And also what is settingson? thanks for your advice.
hahahahahahaha LMAO.

I think it was supposed to read "settings on".

Quick Reply: Modification Help