Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

NewB with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007 | 11:36 PM
ZmanTRX4
|
Professional
Default NewB with some questions

Hey all, I just picked up an 06 2500 TRX4 Cummins quad cab 6spd recently with just over 15k on it and I have a few questions. First off i love the truck, it surpasses all my expectations of a heavy duty and it's the first diesel i've owned. I pull a 10k lb dump trailer/skid steer trailer atleast 3 times a week and it pulls it like a dream. My question is mainly about the hard starting I get with it. At least 50 percent of the time when I start it the truck cranks for over 5 or 6 seconds before starting up and the rest of the time it just fires up on the first or second crank. I turn the key and wait for the "wait to start" light to go off and it still has problems starting. I live in MO and the weather is quite warm right now so I know that couldn't have anything to do with it. Like I said this is my first diesel so I don't know the characteristics of the truck very well but judging by my neighbors truck with is the exact same mine doesn't start quite right. Is there something wrong with it or have any of you had this problem? I've already had the truck at the stearlership for the AC not blowing cold and I really don't want to take it back just yet.

Old 07-22-2007 | 11:50 PM
bksram3500
Record Breaker
Default RE: NewB with some questions

Man I really don't think it is something to worry about but I am not completly sure.
I just want to say welcome to DF and get us some pics as soon as possible.

Old 07-22-2007 | 11:51 PM
gtxpooch
All Star

Welcome!! I can't answer your question but I'm sure somebody will shortly. You might try changing the fuel filter if it hasn't been already. Here's a link to the FAQ's that might help.
https://dodgeforum.com/m_578941/tm.htm

Old 07-22-2007 | 11:55 PM
ZmanTRX4
|
Professional

Thanks for the welcome guys! I just replaced the fuel filter so that shouldn't be a problem and like I said I don't know if anything is wrong at all but i'm new to owning a diesel and want to make sure because the truck costed me quite a bit of money. Also just for some info on my truckit's mineral gray, 5.9 diesel 6 spd. I've since added the navigation radio and a big a$$ trailer hitch haha. Next mod will probably be exhaust Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated though.

Old 07-22-2007 | 11:58 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

welcome to DF...

there is a s/w upgrade the dealer can do to help with the hard starting... I personally think the fuel pressure is not up all the way when this happens. mine does it from time to time as well and it usually happens when I'm quick on the ignition...

Old 07-23-2007 | 12:01 AM
RamFreak
Veteran

I was gonna say fuel filter, what year or years is this SW update for Steve? I have not had anyprobs with hard starting, just curious as this is the first I have heard anout thisupdate.

Quick Reply: NewB with some questions