Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Another Death Wobble thread/question???

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 06:35 AM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Death Wobble thread/question???

I've been reading up on the "Death Wobble" phenom..........ah hell, I can't spell that word. Anyhow, my lovingly cared for truck stated quite clearly last week on I-80 outside Salt Lake City that something was definately wrong up front.

Several times, on the freeway doing about 82 MPH, we went over some rough patches and the truck started to vibrate so bad that crap stuck under the dash started falling to the floor. It vibrated all the stuff out of my wallet that was sitting on top of the dash, knocked my radar detector off the window, decided it liked the center median better than the asphalt, and caused the little eurotrash VW in the lane next to me to skitter off somewhere well away from this monster exhibiting an attitude.

After having to tame the beast 3 separate times, and clean my shorts out as well, I managed to limp it into my In-laws in Syracuse UT. I then took it to the shop where I had my alignment done (Dec '06), and went through the whole spiel. Well, they took a look at the alignment, it was way "out of whack", and put it back "in whack". Also found my newly replaced Steering Damper had a loose bolt (NOT MY FAULT!! My mechanic got his backside shredded when I got home for that one).

It seemed to cure MOST of the wobble, but it is still there, lurking. It pops up but will go away on its own, after causing me to soil myself again.

Well, to avoid the costly laundry bills for soiling my shorts, and possible damage to my lovingly maintained hooptie, I've been looking at various posts and have nailed the probable cause to the Track Bar.

Now, the track bar on this truck, does the entire bar have to be replaced, or can the bushings alone be replaced? I've seen the bushings for sale at NAPAONLINE and AUTOZONE.COM, but no where have I been able to find out if I can save a bundle on just replacing the bushings.

Alot of fluff in this post, but I figured that many of you may want a little laugh. The question still stands and I'd like an answer,andyou're welcome for the laugh if I gave ya' one.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:35 PM
firemansdodge
Professional
Default RE: Another Death Wobble thread/question???

There is so much that can cause the DW. Check all your suspension bolts and make sure they are tight to torque specs,rebalance the tires, not all aftermarket steering stabilizer work good w/ our heavy front ends lateral force, the stoc trac bar on a stock suspension should be ok, but if you are going to tinker w/ it. Go w/ a Thuren Adj. Trac Bar. It moves w/ the suspension over rougher terrian rather than the stocker does not. That's a start and if you still have problems then something on your front end suspension has worn prematurly (sp?).

Old 07-24-2007, 12:52 AM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran

The truck is bone stock, except for a couple of exterior items that have nothing to do with Steering and Suspension.

My thinking is that something is worn out prematurely. I replaced the steering damper with a Monroe unit, no effect. Had the truck re-aligned, great effect, but didn't eliminate the wobble completely. Already have new Monroe Shocks for the front, so I'm going to replace those next.

Truck has 74K on it so it's still a youngster. My thinking is to go at the Track Bar next, but I don't want to replace it if I don't have to. If it only requires bushings, that will be easy enough.

Other than that, what I've read on the NHTSA-ODI website is many complaints regarding ball joints going out prematurely. But I'm not suspecting them yet.

Old 07-24-2007, 02:21 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

go get your alignment re-done and have them add caster into the alignment... like a shoping cart wheel... (alignment techs will say your taking caster out... whatever...) put your piviot point farther forward and it'll fix it. I ran around w/o a steering stabilizer and had no problems... whishy washy steering but no DW.

if you must replace the tracbar... consider a thurenfab one... http://www.thurenfabrication.com/3rdgentrackbar.html the last bar you'll ever buy for your truck. it's on my list of things to get... mainly to re-center my axle... it's off by about 1~1.5" from my lift.

I also have one of his steering stabilizer kits and love it.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:57 PM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran

Hey Steve.

Thanks for that. I read somewhere else on here about caster but I was too lazy to try and look up a definition. Reading your post reminded me of it. Mucho thanks.

When I had them do the alignment last week, I fortunately bought one of those "lifetime" ones, meaning I can get it realigned anytime. So after my son is born in the next few days, I'll take it over and get it done again.

I read in another post (same one as stated before) to add about 4 degrees. Sound about right?

Old 07-24-2007, 03:01 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

I would have them add as much as possible, tell them to forget the spec and do it anyway. you want the piviot point moved forward towards the front of the truck so it looks more like a shopping cart wheel... what it'll do is pull the wheel back towards the cab of the truck.

Old 07-25-2007, 01:36 AM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran

I'll see if I can get it in on Wednesday or Thursday since the cookie cruncher is taking longer to pop out and introduce himself.

Besides, it still pulls a wee little bit to the right and I'd like to see if they can remove that.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:46 PM
ljpierce_ely
Veteran

Well, the DW question/problem has been solved. At least I should say, the cause has been determined.

Bad Ball-Joints!!! Even the shop I went to can't understand why they weren't found during the last alignment.

Wish I had the time and a second vehicle, then I'd take care of it myself. But I don't have that option. So...........I get to utilize my extended warranty. Guess I get my value out of it!

Old 07-27-2007, 10:15 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame

hummm, wonder why they are bad? and why are all 4 bad? caused by DW? I find it hard to believe all are bad... when you get the alignment done, ask for the spec printout... I'd like to compare it against mine...

Old 07-28-2007, 12:36 PM
Welder597
Rookie

I just took my truck in for alignment, they said they wouldn't do it because all 4 of my balljoints were bad. 77,000 miles

Quick Reply: Another Death Wobble thread/question???