Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

DPF plugging

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 09:21 AM
V8 Cummins Diesel
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DPF plugging

I've read many posts where guys have bought the new 6.7 and there DPF have been clogging up. Many are sayingthat the regeneration process is not kicking in. There are some who didn't realize you must drive at highway speed for 45 minutes to clear it. They say it is a waste of gas to do this. But, I guess you can say that this diesel engine is meant to be on the road pulling not around in town. Am I right in saying that if you want the 6.7, you better tow for long distances with it. If you are mostly a city driver and tow once a month, you should buy something else? Or, can they get the regen process fixed? Or, can you just remove the DPF? I have test driven this beast. I love the power and response of the 6.7. I want one but it seems there is a kink in its armor. Has anyone been driving it mostly city with 1000 miles with no problem with the clogging? I now there have been some flashes that can fix some of the computer problems. But, the 45 minutes of highway speed is not easily done for those who will be using it mostly in the city and ocasionally towing. Any thoughts on these questions?

Old 07-24-2007, 09:29 AM
sabersix
Default RE: DPF plugging

I have 1500 miles on my 6.7L with no problems. Mostly city driving with one 500 mile trip. No towing. The truck had the ECM flash done just prior to purchase with 26 miles on the truck. I think you'll be OK with a new 6.7L that has had the flash done with low miles or one that was built after June 12th. The ones with trouble seem to have been driven awhile prior to having the flash done.

Some observations:

1) Mileage is less than 5.9L. I'm getting between 14-15 MPG (hand calculated). My suspicion is that the regen process is too aggressive and using a lot of extra fuel to burn off the soot.

2) Oil level reads overfull on my factory oil.

3) A/C air flow volume seems low on my Mega Cab. Cools OK though.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:40 AM
Joel_MD
Captain

I have about 2,800 miles on my 6.7L. I have not towed anything with it. Most of my miles are from my 26-mile commute to work, which is primarily at highway speeds. I have the advantage of knowing when my engine is in regeneration mode, since the Edge Attitude monitor sounds an alert when it enters regen mode and the EGT increases a few hundred degrees. It does a regen about every 50 miles. Sometimes it will begin at an inopportune time, like right as I am parking and about to shut off the engine. When the regen is interrupted like this, I have noticed that it will resume the regen the next time I run the engine after a brief warm-up period.

I have not had any trouble with my engine.The exhaust was soot-free for the first 1,400 miles, but now it blows a fair amount of soot under hard acceleration. My engine has not had the software update that came out on June 12, which apparently makes the regen last longer to clean out the DPF better.

Old 07-24-2007, 10:23 AM
V8 Cummins Diesel
Rookie

Thanks for the info. So, the regen can be done in normal driving situations not just highway speeds? How much does the Edge attitude monitor costs? How easy is it to install? Where can one be purchased? Shouldn't a regen indicator be standard with the 6.7L?

Old 07-24-2007, 10:49 AM
Joel_MD
Captain

The Attitude monitor is sold with the Edge Juice module. I received mine directly from Edge as part of a special beta test for the 6.7L Cummins. I did read a post from someone who said they sawthe Juice w/ Attitude for the 6.7Lavailable online somewhere, but I don't remember which retailer. I understand the Juice w/ Attitude for the 5.9 has a list price of $999, but can be found for less. Check the usual places like Geno's Garage, etc.

I had a local shop install mine because I wasn't comfortable drilling my exhaust manifold for the pyro probe, but it looks rather easy to install for someone who understands 12-volt wiring. I usedan Auto Meter pod to mount the Attitude monitor above the rear view mirror.

Old 07-24-2007, 11:19 AM
V8 Cummins Diesel
Rookie

Yes, I found the juice with attitude on the web. But, is there a way just to keep track of the regen cycle and exhaust temp. I don't want to boost hp. I am just worried about operating temps and regen cycle. I don't want to void any warranty. Yes, I understand you just take it off when you bring it in. But, I just want to keep track of regen cyclemostly.

Quick Reply: DPF plugging