Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

DIY B&M Shifter Install

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 09:14 PM
ryans590
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY B&M Shifter Install

this DIY can be credited to mopowar

item installed
B&M Light Truck Megashifter
Part Number 80680

1) Assemble the shifter as-per instructions provided. I chose to leave it at it's highest setting wich puts the top of the handle +/- 15" above the floorboard.
2) Place the shifter where it will be installed. The base is 6.4" wide so I marked the centerline on the mounting brackets and lined them up 3.25" over from the t-case selector. mark the mounting holes.
3) Use a razor knife to cut small x's through the carpet and soundproofing/insulationon the marks or you will end up with a wad of carpet on the end of your drill bit. Reposition the shifter and use a centerpunch to re-mark the holes on the sheetmetal floor.
4) drill 4 1/4" holes for the mounting bolts where the center punch marks are
5) put the shifter in place with the bolts extending through the floor. Temporarily put the black shifter housing/cover in place and mark the font edge. Remove the cover and put a mark directly in front of the cable hole on the shifter assembly. Measure 3/4" back from the where the front of the cover will end up.
Mark where this line, and the cable hole line bisect. Cut a 1" by 1" x in the carpet and remark the sheetmetal with the center punch.
6) Drill a 3/4" hole on the center punch mark.
7) Route the cable through the hole, over top of the bell housing, over top of the starter, and down.
8) Return to the cab, put the shifter in place with mounting bolts.
9) At this point you will need an assistant to hold the bolts while you go under and put the nuts/lock washers/washer on. Have the assistant tighten the bolts while you hold the nuts (or if you have a competent non-whiny assistant send them under while you do the tightening).
10) connect the cable to the shifter
11) Put the e-brake on and chock the wheels. Put both the column shifter and the floor shifter in 1.
12) *** note***If you have both 4wd and long tube headers- drop the front drive shaft
13) Using a 7/16 socket and extension, remove the tv linkage, then the shifter linkge.
14) Install the supplied Chrysler linkage. It installs identically to the old linkage that was removed.
15) Re-install the tv linkage/spring/cable
16) Install the cable holder. *You will need washers or spacers so that it spaced 1/2" down from the bottom of the Transmission oil pan. This is to avoid a trans. line that I assume was not there on the 727's
17) Route the cable back underneath the starter, and secure it to the holder so that the center of the threaded portion of the cables end lines up with the center of the hole in the linkage. Again, with the shifter and transmission in 1, thread the connector onto the cable so that it slides easily into the hole in the linkage and install the cotter pin.
18) At this point, I started the truck and went through the gears and made sure they were all working properley
19) ***note***If you have to, re-install the front drive shaft.
20) Through the same carpet hole used for the cable, route a wire between carpet and floor up behind the dash. this wire is to be connected to the light on the shifter, connect the other end behind the headlight switch to the park light wire
21) Connect the light and the indicator cable on the trim plate.
21) Slide the cover over the shifter assembly and trim plate, pulling the trim plate through the hole.
22) Secure the cover to the assemble, then the trim plate to the cover.
23) Install the boot, and then the Handle.
24) Remove the four bolts that hold the steering shaft and shiftercovers. If equiped, unscrew the tilt wheel lever, and remove the covers
25) Drive the pin that holds the column shifter up and out. This will take three or four pretty good whacks. Cut the wire that goes into the shifter for the od on/off button, and set the shifter aside.
26) You will half to relocate the O/D switch, I bought a momentary pushbutton switch from Rat Shack and installed it in the steering columncover, I then soldered two wires to it and connected them to the od wire cut in step 25.
27) Re-install the steering column and shifter covers.

the finished look

[IMG]local://upfiles/27664/262D1C6847484D47B3BCCAB6E69964E1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/27664/FE449018E53F4436B4250949616176CC.jpg[/IMG]

B&M's online install instructions
http://www.bmracing.com/media/products/pdf/10.pdf
more info on this install
https://dodgeforum.com/m_897403/tm.htm

DodgeForum.com and myself will not be held accountable for any problems resulting in doing a modification you found on our site. This includes, but is not limited to; faulty outcomes, legal issues, broken parts, undesired outcomes, injuries and so forth.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:11 PM
jsmith155
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you!!

Quick Reply: DIY B&M Shifter Install