Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

U-joints

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 09:59 AM
JDH
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default U-joints

I would like to here some opinions on the best brand of replacement U-joint.

I also am doing some preliminary research on putting a limited slip in the front diff, there is a helical unite by detriot locker for the 9.25 diff and I think that is what my 03 came with.

One was this diff used on the rear of some gassers and would it pe possible to pull out of a junk yard truck and put in my front.

Have any of you folks done this and whad disd you use and were you happy?

I am not a hardcore offroad user I just have a conviction that all four corner should recieve power. I have all that weight up front and I would be dissapointed to get stuck spinning three wheels and one sitting . It will just give me a small advantage in a bad situation (out at the hunting lease).

Old 08-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: U-joints

there is nott a LSD for the AAM 9.25 front axel we have. even though thecarrier of the 1500's may be the same size of our fronts, the pumpkin is larger for the rear axel and the LSD unit would not fit.

as far as u-joints, MOOG or spicer

Old 08-01-2007, 12:36 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

u joints can be tricky...as far as proper sizing ....if youre worried aboiut durability while off roadin, even the best u's break. make sure you remove one to match it up. then check with the guys on here and your local 4 x 4 shops to find the best. I found oem spicers for mine..ok its 2wd....my whole drive line is spicer...

any time you start swappin parts from other trucks, remember that you have a CUMMINS . that means a gasser truck part may not be rated for the torque...

good luck!

Old 08-01-2007, 02:12 PM
JDH
Rookie

That why I am asking someone out there is bound to know more that I do.
So drew when I find a listing for a 9.25 chyrsler diff that would not be for the 9.25 that is on the fron of my truck.
I was under the impression that at some level of trim in 03 you could get a sl front axel on this truck.

I found a company that listed and auburn/detroit locker helical sl set fot the 9.25, but if I understand Drew that is for a different housing. Is that a correct statment.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:27 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea, the houseing is different and it wont fit. besides, I can do a hard 3rd gear launch in 4wd and leave 4 nice black streaks on the road

Old 08-01-2007, 02:47 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

if ya do remove the drive line...take soap stone. paint, or what have ya, and mark the ends so you can match them up on reinstall.. the shaft is balanced...

Quick Reply: U-joints