Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

KORE/Lorenz/Carli Suspension Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 01:29 AM
kerstenp
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KORE/Lorenz/Carli Suspension Comparison

Sunday August 5th myself and two other Dodge CTD owners (+Steve0 our photographer) did a comparison on the Carli Starter System, Lorenz Bilstein 5100 System & KORE Chase System. There has been a lot of people undecided on which type of system to buy or what really is the difference between these systems. Hopefully we can help some out. Obviously this not to see who’s is better because the Kore System was a step higher than the Lorenz and Carli systems w/ the Fox 2.0 Shocks. The pros and cons for the different driving habits. All testing sites were done in Sacramento County. All truck owners alternated through all the trucks atleast twice per testing section besides their own. Highway 50 for expansion joints (roughly 30 miles worth), Prairie City OHV Park for 1 ½ mile off road race track (consisted of whoops, incline, decline, rocks, heavy ruts and grooves. Some atleast a foot deep), back country rough pavement road that lead into a narley gravel road (roughly 3 miles long), not to far from there is a mile long rode w/ speed bumps (roughly 6” high) spread approx. 25ft apart and keeping speeds at 50mph for moreundulation conditions for city driving. [/align]Kore and Carli Trucks has 35” Toyo “E” M/T’s and Lorenz has 35” Toyo “D” A/T tires. Pressure for M/T’s were 40 psi all around and A/T was 42 front and 40 psi rear. This was the most time consuming to figure out the best and fair tire pressure between the E & D rated tire. The only other difference is the Kore Truck had a Chase Dampner and Lorenz Truck had adj. Thuren Trac Bar. Carli Truck was stock between those two items. It took us 6 hours to complete this testing. Like I said this is to give a honest opinion between different companies and systems. [/align][/align]Here are the results. It is based on ride and steering capabilities. Kevin (Carli), Kersten (KORE), James (Lorenz). A scale of 1-5, [/align][/align](5) Outstanding[/align](4) Great[/align](3) good/average[/align](2) needs improvement[/align](1) Don't buy [/align]
Kevins Results:
[/align]
Rough Road/Gravel: KORE (3), Carli (4), Lorenz (4)
Highway Expansion Joints: KORE (3), Carli (4), Lorenz (4)
Off Road Track: KORE (3), Carli (4), Lorenz (4)
Undulations/Whoops: KORE (4), Carli (3), Lorenz (3)

*KORE Chase w/ Fox Shocks
The KORE system shined on the undulation section of our test. The
truck sailed over the undulations in a very controlled manner. The
rear of the truck seemed to be the biggest factor as it minimized the
"hop" on the undulations, even though we were traveling at about 50 mph.
The KORE was the firmest ride of the group. Not sure if it is the
springs or the Fox shocks that are making the difference, but there was
definitely a noticeable difference. The freeway expansion joints and
rough road bumps were controlled, but did produce more jarring than the
other systems. The cornering is very good on the KORE.

*Lorenz System w/ Bilsteins
The Lorenz System did well in most situations. The ride between
the Carli and Lorenz systems were very similar. They both handled the
on-road portions very well, and were softer (less jarring) than the
KORE. The rides were "soft" but controlled. The Lorenz ride may have been
even a bit softer than the Carli. The off-road section of our
comparison was handled very well, and gave confidence even as the speeds
increased. Even though they handled the undulations respectfully, there was
more rear-hop when compared to the KORE. The cornering on the Lorenz
was a little bit soft, not quite as good as the KORE or Carli, but it
may have to do with the tires (D rated) than the system.

*Carli Starter System w/ Bilsteins
The Carli System also did well in most situations. Like I stated
above, the ride is similar to the Lorenz. I would give a slight edge
to the Lorenz in the ride department (a little bit more cushion), and
the edge would go to Carli in cornering (again, it may have just been the
difference in tires). Other than that, the systems performed almost
identically.

In summary, all of the systems worked so much better than stock. Any
of them would be a great upgrade to any Heavy Duty Ram truck. Your
driving habits and style, and what you want from your suspension, will be
the deciding factor in which one to choose. [/align]
James Results:[/align]

Highway Expansion Joints- Kore (4), Carli (4), Lorenz (4) [/align]Rough Roads/Gravel- Kore (3), Carli (4), Lorenz (4) [/align]Off Road Track- Kore (3), Carli (4), Lorenz (4) [/align]Undulations/Whoops- Kore (4), Carli (3), Lorenz (3) [/align]

Thanks again to Kersten and his family for the hospitality. The opinions I have gathered through our comparison is as follows. [/align]
* KORE Chase System
is a great system for long distance racing w/ the Fox Shocks and undulations over 5" ( I believe that what the speed bumps in the road were). It rides smooth. It hugs whoops good. It is stiff for rough off road dips and pothole size ruts. The Chase system serves a purpose and is a good system. The two real drawback is the Kore's' pricing (as we discussed) and stiff daily driving. [/align]
* Carli Starter System
is a great system for daily on road encounters and moderate rough off road. Not a racing system. The only con for the system is a rear hop when encountering higher undulations. Hitting whoops it hugs the mound at low speeds and feels good. [/align]
* Lorenz Bilstien 5100 Suspension System
is a great daily driving & moderate off road system. I feel it kept up good and is similar ride and feel as the Carli Starter System. The one noticeable draw back is the rear hop or bounce on bigger undulations at higher speeds (50mph) and certain lay of the rough/gravel roads as it fish tails a tad, but not out of control. [/align]
Note:
You can also add the Fox Shocks were cooler than the Bilstien Shocks. After [/align]doing consecutive laps the Bilstein was scalding hot compared to the Fox Shocks as hot to the touch. Thanks [/align]
[/align]Kersten Results
[/align]
Rough Roads/Gravel- Kore (3), Carli (3), Lorenz (4) [/align]Highway Expansion Joints- Kore (3), Carli (3), Lorenz (4) [/align]Off road Track- Kore (3), Carli (4), Lorenz (4) [/align]Undulations/Whoops- Kore (4), Carli (3), Lorenz (3) [/align]

Kore truck
-Stiffest ride on road and off road. Not as smooth of a ride for your daily driver. But when your commute takes you over rough patches of freeway or expansion joints, it shows great control. Speed bumps and undulations are handled very well, no or little rear wheel hop. [/align]Off road, the system shows great control, steers great, but still, stiff ride. [/align]This suspension likes to be driven hard and fast. [/align]I'd recommend the system to those who like to drive their truck over really rough roads at high speeds. Control is this systems priority, comfort is second. [/align]NOTE: Truck is running "E" rated tires. I believe switching the truck to a"D" rated tire will soften the ride, or run "E's" at a lower air pressure. [/align]
Carli truck
-Softest ride of the group. Very comfortable for city driving, freeway cruising. I felt more bounce on expansion joints. Fast windy roads felt loose, as if it needed more sway control. [/align]Some wheel hop over undulations. Good control over the rough stuff. Good ride off road. Steering was good. The suspension seems to float, making the ride more comfortable, yet it loses some road feel/control. [/align]I'd recommend the system to those who drive 70% pavement, 30% off-road. [/align]NOTE: The Carli truck is running "E" rated tires. I would not run this system with "D" rated tires, as the ride is already soft. [/align]
Lorenz truck
-My favorite all around ride. It handled the expansion joints the best, keeping the truck fairly level with little bounce. Very little sway in high speed turns. Steering felt good. Some wheel hop in the undulation test. Off roads it felt similar to the Carli. A little more control in the rough stuff. [/align]I recommend the Lorenz if you're looking for a great all around suspension. [/align]NOTE: The Lorenz truck is running "D" rated tires. I believe running "E's" will stiffen the ride and affect it's handling, perhaps producing a harder ride. [/align]I'm happy with the results of the comparison, I believe we were fair in grading the systems. [/align]I think if we did this over again with the 3 systems, but matched with equal tires/trucks (i.e. stick vs. auto), the results may have been a little different, but not by much. [/align]I'm glad I didn't put money on the Lorenz for this test! [/align]************************************************** ******************End[/align]Just a side note. All trucks bottomed out the front ends at the same rutted areas. They were a good foot deep and most of the time we had such big grines putting these trucks in some abuse that we accidentally hit these at 30-35 mph. w/o paying attention of whats on the other side. OUCH…… Also we are not leaving out Thurens products. We could not find anyone that had one of his systems. So sorry for that. [/align]We took 398 pics and some video. Kersten put together a website link below to view the pics. We will post the video as soon as Kevin can figure out the best way to download it. Your best to look at the pics in a slideshow to get the most out of them. There is a lot of multiple shots in action. [/align]
[/align]
The truck/color suspension ID for pics:
[/align]
Lorenz= Grey Truck
[/align]
Carli= White Truck
[/align]
Kore= Red Truck[/align]

Here is the pic links: http://outdoor4.smugmug.com/gallery/...7619#181277619[/align]
a

Old 08-07-2007, 08:58 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts
Default RE: KORE/Lorenz/Carli Suspension Comparison

Awesome writeup... I have added this thread to the list in the DIY/Info thread at the top of the forum...

Old 08-07-2007, 10:01 PM
firemansdodge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: KORE/Lorenz/Carli Suspension Comparison

Steve thanks again for taking pics for us. Especially the stunt moves of you using the video camera out my driver rear window while going over whoops. If you are going to tac this at the top. Go to Dodge Talk and copy and paste that write up. I tweaked it a little more than this one. This one was still somewhat in the rough stage when I shot itinto a email to Kersten and Kevin. Thanks. Look forward to more off roading w/ you guys.

Quick Reply: KORE/Lorenz/Carli Suspension Comparison