Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Transmission went out

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 08:49 AM
cody_748
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission went out

Well... after 254,000 miles and the original clutch, the transmission finally gave out on me while i was driving to Corpus Christi on Monday. I pulled over, thinking i lost 5th gear again(would have been the 4th time i have repaired it) but when i came to a stop, i started going thru all the gears. 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 5th wouldn't do anything. 4th gear however, would move the truck but i decided to wait for the flat bed so i wouldn't tear something up. My mechanic told me more than likely i would need to install a rebuilt unit. He also said it would be a good idea to replace the clutch(which i had planned to do anyway) along with the flywheel.

Any advice on where i can find a good rebuilt transmission with a warranty?

Old 08-08-2007, 09:34 AM
Joel_MD
Captain
Default RE: Transmission went out

You may want to consider having a transmission shop rebuild yours. When I lived in CA I had a trans shop rebuild a 4-speed manual in an old Ford truck. It cost a little less than a rebuilt one.

I found an article on the Internet about rebuilding an NV4500: http://www.fourwheeler.com/images/12..._transmission/ If you have a decent shop and the right tools it would be kinda fun to try it yourself.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:41 AM
Silverline
Veteran

I had mine rebuilt not too long ago and with a heavy billet converter and beefed up roller clutches, etc it ran about $1800 at the end and I haven't regretted it for a minute.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:57 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it may be a bit hard to find all the parts you need to fix your tranny. . .New Venture, the company that made the tranny, went out of buisness in 05, and hasnt been making parts for the NV4500 for about as long.

if you can rebuild it, it would be less expensive. ATS has NV4500's for a bit over $2600, and the prices have been going up http://www.atsdiesel.com/ATSWebsite/...dge/Manual.asp

heck, this time last year the NV5600 was about $600 less.

Quick Reply: Transmission went out