Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

lifted or not, loose steering & leak problems??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 11:04 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default lifted or not, loose steering & leak problems??

after lifting my 98 i began to expeirence some play in the steering wheel and over the next few thousand miles it kept getting worse, then develped a leak which would empty the power steering about once a month....i finally got iritated enough to take a look at it, and noticed that the shaft was actually moving in the gear box. i came up with an idea....i picked up a bearing, mounting flanges, and a nut and blot the same size as the steering shaft from the local john deere...and bought some metal. all together about 30 bucks... i mounted and braced the iron on the sway bar mounts and made a mount for the bearing and conected it to ths steering shaft with the nut and bolt and works perfect, no more play no more leaks and best of all it cost me about 30 bucks and about an hour of work and drives like a new truck....i would put up pics but cant figure out how, any pointers????

Old 08-08-2007, 11:28 PM
kolb7
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: lifted or not, loose steering & leak problems??

i have a 99 with 6" lift and the steering has horrible play bout an eighth of a turn on the wheel

Old 08-08-2007, 11:37 PM
dodgetrucker75
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: lifted or not, loose steering & leak problems??

have someone turn the wheel back and forth with engine off, and watch the steering shaft on the bottom of the gear boxto see if there is any play

Quick Reply: lifted or not, loose steering & leak problems??