Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

How many quarts of oil do you fill?

Old 08-10-2007, 11:34 PM
tkk2500
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How many quarts of oil do you fill?

After I saw your post with your new drain plug I had to order one.

It's definatly the way to go.

Old 08-10-2007, 11:44 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: halfdozenbuzzin

ORIGINAL: DBLR

Oh once you shut off the engine you need to wait 15 minutes or longer for the oil to drain back in to the oil pan to get a correct reading on the dip stick.
Yeah..good luck getting a quicklube to wait 15 minutes.. or to only put 12 qt's in.. or to fill the filter before installing it... between this info..and Mayfair prodding me to do it myself.. I think I'll be on the lookout for a large shallow oil drain pan within the next 5000 miles.. and one of those easy drain valves from geno's
I think I got my oil pan at Walmart. It holds 15 quarts and it has a plug in the top for safe transport and a spout on the side with a cap on it for pouring it out. I think Advanced Auto Parts has them too. CHeaper at Wally world as is the oil.

Old 08-11-2007, 01:05 AM
Silverline
Veteran

The biggest problem is finding a place to put the oil (dispose of) when you change it. I used to use it on wood fencing. But after painting everything three or more times that kind of ran its course.

Old 08-11-2007, 04:20 AM
Joel_MD
Captain

I put exactly three gallons in my 6.7L. Seems to be the right amount. I do pre-fill the filter too.

Can't remember who it was (Jakebrake?), but somebody here gave me the idea of using a gallon size Ziploc bag for removing the oil filter. When you're done you just zip it and toss it. Very tidy.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How many quarts of oil do you fill?