Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2500 Diesel over heat

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 06:01 PM
sabersix
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2500 Diesel over heat

ORIGINAL: awaltdrum

Thanks again!! Here are some more details of the situation. I am hoping it will help you help me. The fan is working. The overheating is worse when going uphill at a lower rpm. It is an auto trans so I have to put my foot thru the floorboard to get it to kick into a lower gear. When going up a slight incline at high rpm the fan seems to keep it cooler(still hot...but not as hot).Going up a steep hill for a long period of time at a high rpm also gets it close to the red line. Its when it kicks down to a lower rpm that it starts getting scary. And of course when I level out or go downhill it holds right at 190. It also cools down very fast. Inmatter of seconds. I hope this helps. Thanks again!
So maybe your transmission is overheating and transferring the heat to the radiator through the tranny cooler? Check your trans fluid for signs of overheating.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:11 PM
Cumminnotstrokin
Professional

What year is your truck and how heavy is the trailer?

Old 08-13-2007, 07:33 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: sabersix

ORIGINAL: awaltdrum

Thanks again!! Here are some more details of the situation. I am hoping it will help you help me. The fan is working. The overheating is worse when going uphill at a lower rpm. It is an auto trans so I have to put my foot thru the floorboard to get it to kick into a lower gear. When going up a slight incline at high rpm the fan seems to keep it cooler(still hot...but not as hot).Going up a steep hill for a long period of time at a high rpm also gets it close to the red line. Its when it kicks down to a lower rpm that it starts getting scary. And of course when I level out or go downhill it holds right at 190. It also cools down very fast. Inmatter of seconds. I hope this helps. Thanks again!
So maybe your transmission is overheating and transferring the heat to the radiator through the tranny cooler? Check your trans fluid for signs of overheating.
Exactly what I was thinking. I had a '86 gasser (ferd) that did this to me. I put two new themostats, flushed the cooling system, bought a new huge radiator, nothing fixed it. Finally it dawned on me the auto trans was heating up the coolant and causing the issue. I also had another idea, you said you just changed the belt, is it routed properly? Good luck.

Old 08-13-2007, 08:15 PM
BrianSudokhoi02
Veteran

Try blowing out the radiatior, intercooler, and the other "coolers" in the front with compressed air. Even if it looks clean, still blow it out.....you will be surprised how much stuff comes out.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 08-13-2007, 09:04 PM
Watermelon
Captain

Awalt, I have an 04 3500 CTD and I often pull a 27ft gooseneck horse trailer into NC from SC. When I do this I am usually maxed out on tthe GVWR at 24k to 26k (really). There is a 5% grade for about 5 or 6 miles over the mountain. My temp will rise up to about 3/4's of the gauge b4 I top the hill. If the hill was a little longer it might even get close to the hot mark. So if your heavy on a long hill in thin air your probably about normal on the temp gauge. Dont get me wrong Id check everything the guys mentioned especially any restrictions on the airflow to the radiator just to be safe. Even the big rigs pull over at the top and let em cool down. You gotta remember we often push these badboys a little harder than we should. Sometimes I have to remind myself that its just a truck not a semi.Take it a little easier on those hills loaded heavy unless you see a ford comin in the rearview!! Then take the hill at all cost

Old 08-13-2007, 11:16 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

Mine does the exact same thing when I pull my 10k trailer up big hills. Just gotta let off of it, especially when the outside temp read 105 this past weekend.

Old 08-14-2007, 01:08 PM
6_SPEED

MY WIFES 01. DOES THIS JUST DRIVING..EMPTY. BUT NOT THAT HOT. IT GETS UP TO HMMMM. ID SAY 220?.. IT STAYS AROUND 170 A LITTLE WAYS UNDER THE HALF MARK... BUT WHEN GETTING ON IT OR ON THE INTERSTATE. AND AROUND 80 MPH AND WE COME TO A HILL.. IT WORMS UP.. THEN AFTER A BIT IT COOLS DOWN..... AND I HAVE BLOWN OUT THE COOLLERS...

Quick Reply: 2500 Diesel over heat