Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Gear venders

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 02:11 PM
DiEseLjunKy
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Gear venders

You still running the stock clutch with that smarty steelhauler? I take it you have a lot of self control?

Old 08-20-2007, 02:46 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

ORIGINAL: DiEseLjunKy

I am and I really like it out on the interstate it's great. It's a 500 rpm drop which doesn't really sound like a lot but trust me you'll see a huge difference with that. I went from running around 63mph @ 2000 rpms in 6th gear to running 75mph in 6th/over @ 2000 rpms which is great because typically I drive 75mph on the interstate and that's where most of the economy benefit kicks in for me.

Back before I had the GV I couldn't get my truck much faster than 90mph. It was up around 3000 rpms then and it could probably take a little more but I don't like going that high. Now I can peg the truck out @ 108 mph against the speed limiter and still not even crack 3000 rpms.

I'm guessing I picked up about 2 mpg running 75mph on the big road but I don't really know as I have never known the right formula to hand calc mileage with my oversized tires. Recently though I discovered that formula!! and did my first hand calc this weekend which came out to 18.74 mpg. That's on a daily driver truck with only 9000 miles and no towing so it's nowhere near broken in. I wasn't driving for maximum economy but I wasnt exactly racing around everywhere, I guess you could say it was just my normal driving. I'm sure over time it will get even better.

Truthfully though my favorite mod, even though GV is a fun toy to play with, are my manual hubs and the mpg gain from those will be more noticeable than GV especially if you do mostly city/rural driving. I see you have the 48RE with 3.73's. I've always wondered what GV would do for a setup like yours. The gearing on my rig is practically the same as the 4:10 equipped 48RE trucks. What you'd have is a really long legged tall geared truck on your hands if you slapped a GV on there!!

As far as how it works I can split almost every gear. It's sort of like an old 2 speed rear end on those old 2 ton farm trucks. I can't split reverse, low, or 2nd because it only works when you're going faster than 20 mph (or 25 I'm not certian I never split down low like that). I can split 3, 4, 5, and 6th effectively giving me 10 forward gears but froma practical standpoint I just row thru the gears normal then flip into 6th/over when I get to 65 mph. On your setup it should be an 8 speed but I'm not certain on that.
That looks like a great mod. I remember when the GV first came out some hot rod guys used them in their classic cars and complained that they weren't beefy enough. They must have fixed that problem if they can handle the torque of a CTD. Like you, at 2000 RPM I'm going about 63 MPH. An RPM drop of 500 would be great.

Since the unit goes "downstream" of the transfer case, does it have some circuitry to keep it from going into overdrive when the transfer case shifts into 4WD? It seems like you could break something if the front and rear axles started turning at different RPMs.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:40 PM
steelhauler

DiEseLJunky, I have no choice, even on setting one, the clutch will slip if under 1900 rpm. Southbend clutch and B-D intercooler coming next month. I see you are running the same tires I am, now on my second set .

Old 08-20-2007, 05:32 PM
DiEseLjunKy
Veteran

ORIGINAL: hildenja
Since the unit goes "downstream" of the transfer case, does it have some circuitry to keep it from going into overdrive when the transfer case shifts into 4WD? It seems like you could break something if the front and rear axles started turning at different RPMs.
Yeah see it's wired up so whenever the transfer case is shifted into 4x4 hi or lo that the overdrive is turned off and can't come on. It's got good instructions with the unit on what wire to tap into for that. Also if you have an engine brake you have to wire that up so it cannot come on when the truck is in overdrive. No big deal really. The instructions are very detailed on every aspect of these units and go so far as including exploded views and troubleshooting.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:36 PM
DiEseLjunKy
Veteran

Yeah I like these tires steelhauler and I'll defintely be getting another set when they're worn out.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:28 PM
steelhauler

my gv works while the exhaust brake is on,I don't do it butI could. I think i'll call gv and ask if someone missed a detail. If 4wd has been used I must turn the key off then back on in order to use gv.

Old 08-21-2007, 08:09 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It is worth noting that eBay indicates that the GearVendors unit
has a good resale value.

Over on the gasoline Ram forums there are countless posts
where owners (many with heavy credit card balance already)
fork over $1200 or more for changing gears in two differentials
...plus in the vast majority of these owners later suffer because
in used truck sales these 4.10-4.88 gear changes
DECREASE the resale value of the Ram
as an aftermarket diff gear change is a reliable indicator that the
automatic transmission has had a 'hard life' to a knowledgeable buyer.

The Gear Vendors unit should be considered more by all Ram owners
especially when resale value is subtracted from first cost
to find the 'true cost of ownership'.

Quick Reply: Gear venders