Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Engine Light On

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 03:57 PM
solarwarp
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Light On

This morning when I started my truck, I smogged the neighborhood with white smoke. Once I let it warm up a bit and drove away, the smoke went away. It's kind of hot here, it was about 80 this morning.

Been driving around town some and no more smoke.

Went back to turn on the truck and the Engine light was lit. Did the key dance and P0191 and P2509 are the error codes. Tried it a second time to confirm the codes and no codes popped up.

What is going on? Any ideas? 07 Ram 5.9L, 10,000 miles, Edge EZ.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:19 PM
triton
Record Breaker
Default RE: Engine Light On

ORIGINAL: solarwarp

This morning when I started my truck, I smogged the neighborhood with white smoke. Once I let it warm up a bit and drove away, the smoke went away. It's kind of hot here, it was about 80 this morning.

Been driving around town some and no more smoke.

Went back to turn on the truck and the Engine light was lit. Did the key dance and P0191 and P2509 are the error codes. Tried it a second time to confirm the codes and no codes popped up.

What is going on? Any ideas? 07 Ram 5.9L, 10,000 miles, Edge EZ.
P0191 = Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor CKT Range/Perf

P2509 = ECM/PCM Power Input Signal Intermittent

I thought the EZ didn't work on the 07's ? Last I heard they were having the same issues as the TST. I see they're selling it for your truck but, I'd check with Edge to be sure it's all good.

Anyway, I'd say you might be draining the rail with the EZ. It's not hard to do with the stock lift pump. White smoke is ok on start up but, not a whole lot of it. You could be having an injector issue. I'd try removing the EZ and see what that does.

Codes will show up only one time if the problem was corrected by the ECM. It may have been a blip in the system too, that's been known to happen.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:31 PM
solarwarp
Veteran

Well I bought the EZ from the dealer when I bought the truck. They installed it.

I'lltake off the EZ and see what changes. Also, I'll see if it smokes again in the morning. Since it's not smoking now and the error codes are gone, would it be safe to say that it "might" have been a blip? Should I take it in, or will they just think I'm stupid if no codes are showing?

Thanks

Old 08-19-2007, 07:06 PM
jakebrake
Champion

No sense in taking the truck to the dealer if the problem doesn't act up again. Chasing an inactive code is time consuming and usually no problems are found. If it does this a couple of times here in the next week, take it to the dealer for warrenty.

Old 08-19-2007, 10:37 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

White smoke usually means the engine is running lean.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:07 PM
solarwarp
Veteran

ORIGINAL: CowboyBob

White smoke usually means the engine is running lean.
Well, I've not ever had anything more than just a puff of smoke before. This morning, I couldn't see the neighbors house due to so much white smoke. Once it warmed up a bit and was driven down the block it quit and the smoke hasn't come back. (I'll check again in the morning after it cools all night.)

The engine running lean goes in line with what the error code that cleared itself was: P0191 = Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor CKT Range/Perf ... I've read everything from water in the fuel to air in the fuel to lean fuel all those indications suggesta new/replacement or aux fuel lift pumpaa a modI should be considering? Is this true?

Old 08-19-2007, 11:16 PM
Cumminnotstrokin
Professional

I went through the P2509 nightmare hope that you don't go through the same. check out this post https://dodgeforum.com/m_674220/tm.htm

Old 08-19-2007, 11:45 PM
solarwarp
Veteran

Tough luck getting your truck repaired... how much shop/tech time and trial and error parts did they go through tocome around full circle what was the concensus 10 visitsand the month prior?

On mine, I had white smoke this morning with no error codes and did some 75 miles of hiway driving.Then this afternoon got in to get some groceries andboth error codes P0191 and P2509 came up together; so maybe myissue isdifferent and easier to diagnose.(Fat chance, huh?)

Old 08-19-2007, 11:57 PM
Cumminnotstrokin
Professional

They replaced the batteries twice and the wire harness then some other BS, they had the truck a little over three weeks so not sure how much tech time?

Old 08-20-2007, 08:17 AM
solarwarp
Veteran

Hum?

Just a light puff of white smoke this morning. No error codes, no engine light, no rough starts, no rough idle, it cranked right up.

Was Elvis in the house?

Quick Reply: Engine Light On