Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

6.7 Oil Change Required Warning.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 10:55 PM
Areilius
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.7 Oil Change Required Warning.

Today we took our truck on a trip up to washington and back down to oregon and i had 0 issues. but i jumped in to goto work tonight and the overhead display is giving me the oil change required warning. The thing i dont get is the truck only has 1700 miles on it. Why would it be comming up with this warning? has anyone else ran into this? I checked the oil and it is good and oil pressure is good also.... Has anyone else heard anything about this?
Thanks

Old 08-19-2007, 11:04 PM
Captain Squalus
Record Breaker
Default RE: 6.7 Oil Change Required Warning.

I vaguely remember hereing that some new vehichals have a sensor that checks the oil for breakdown and contaminents.
I haven't found anything on the net to confirm this.
This might be the case I realy don't know for sure.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:38 AM
sabersix

ORIGINAL: Areilius

Today we took our truck on a trip up to washington and back down to oregon and i had 0 issues. but i jumped in to goto work tonight and the overhead display is giving me the oil change required warning. The thing i dont get is the truck only has 1700 miles on it. Why would it be comming up with this warning? has anyone else ran into this? I checked the oil and it is good and oil pressure is good also.... Has anyone else heard anything about this?
Thanks
The computer is supposed to evaluate multiple inputs from the engine to determine oil change interval, but it should not be less than 2500 miles. There have been quite a few comments about the oil change message coming on early. Most get it changed since it is the first oil change. However, you can reset the reminder by turning the ignition to the "on" position (not running) and pushing the gas pedal to the floor three times in 10 seconds.

I have 3300 miles on mine without an oil change message. Personally, I'd reset it and drive at least 5000 miles before changing the oil.

Old 08-20-2007, 06:43 AM
Areilius

Thanks for the help on this guys[sm=deal.gif]. It seemed wierd to me that it would come on so early. I reset it, but i think i am still going to take it in and have them check it out. With the new engine i want to stay ontop of things and get them resolved before i have a bigger issue. Plus the holiday weekend is comming up and its time to ride[sm=gears.gif]. Once again thanks for all the help.
M

Old 08-20-2007, 02:50 PM
okieflyboy

Hi, my 6.7had only 2000 miles on it when the change oil messagecame up and like you it was still serviceable oil. I had it changed any way but kept the filter and a sample of the fluid to send in for spectro analysis. I have found out that it is a computer generated message, there is is no sensor in the pan but to just arbitarily turn off the message due only to milage is not my way of keeping the investment in good condition. This concern needs to get to the folks at Dodge and a reply as to why it is generated that resolves the issue given. I will keep the forum advised of what I can find out.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:22 PM
Ralph78
Professional

I would change the oil and filter ASAP. With a new engine, I always change the oil and filter after the first 500-1,000 miles to remove the metal filings that ALWAYS hide in the new engine. On my race motors, we scrub and clean everything two or three times, yet there is still "STUFF" on the magnetic drain plug when we drain the oil after 1 hour of cam break-in time on the test stand.

Ralph

Old 08-20-2007, 07:46 PM
Areilius

I agree. I just got off the phone with my service department and they told me that it is a clock that also determines oil change intervals. Not the runtime clock but one that starts on the build date. My truck was built in april so the clock thinks it is time to get it done. They also are not going to charge me for the change so thats a bonus. Once again thanks for the help!
M

Quick Reply: 6.7 Oil Change Required Warning.