Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Changed Fuel Filter

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 12:31 PM
UpBranchLiner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed Fuel Filter

I changed my fuel filter today. I opened the valve and nothing came outtill I unscrewed the lid. My filter was pretty dark looking, is that normal? Also if you did have water in your filter housing would it stick out like a sore thumb in your drain pan? I used the DIY instruction, worked great.

Old 08-28-2007, 12:48 PM
cujo
Captain
Default RE: Changed Fuel Filter

How many miles were on the fuel filter?

Old 08-28-2007, 01:00 PM
solarwarp
Veteran

I changed mine this morning for the first time as well. It was easy. I pretty much have the same truck as you.

I have 12000 miles on this filter, it was pretty black. (I think I'll be changing it more often, though.)

I did get fuel to drain out just by opening the yellow valve, it drained before I cracked the lid open.

Put a couple of drops of water in the pan of fuel that you just drained out to see what it looks like so you'll know what to look for next time. I didn't have any water in my fuel. Don't try to reuse the fuel, or pour it on the ground or down the drain for that matter. San Antonio has a hazardous waste disposal location for us to drop off oil, fuel oil, filters, etc. Maybe a garage will accept it from you as well.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:02 PM
JDH
Rookie

Turn the key on so the lift pump runs and open the valve. I put na extension on and run it into an old oil bottel to keep the drive clean.

Old 08-28-2007, 02:29 PM
UpBranchLiner

had 7500 miles on it. Ill try running the lift pump with it open next time. Actually I dump my oil/fuel on my indoor riding arena. Otherwise the dust gets out of control when the old lady is riding horses. I just use a drag right after I dump it to mix it up.

Quick Reply: Changed Fuel Filter