Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

New member! Glad to be here! 98.5 24 valve transmission issue. Can you help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 12:17 AM
supradean
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member! Glad to be here! 98.5 24 valve transmission issue. Can you help?

i have owned a few of these trucks but the one i bought tonight is by far the nicest!
98.5 24 valve xcab 4x4 with 226k on it in nearly brand new condition from bumper to bumper. My question is when you are driving it slow around 20 mph and you hit it...it feels like it is slipping just a hair for like 500 rpms and then it catches. from there it pulls fine but anything under 2000 rpm it feels soft. Then if you go for a test drive and you finish you can smell a clutch smell when you open the hood from the turbo side of the engine. Any help would be great as i love this truck but am not sure what it could be. i thought torque conv but im reading there are "bands" that loosen and some programming that may need to be done? please let me know what you think
Thanks!
Dean
ps it was owned by a private guy and wasnt used for towing.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:30 AM
Mayfair
Legend
Default RE: New member! Glad to be here! 98.5 24 valve transmission issue. Can you help?

First of all, Welcome Aboard, and congrats on your new Ram!!

Unfortunately, our trucks aren't known for having the finest reputation when it come to tranny's. I've never worked on one before so hopefully someone else here will be able to help you more. I'd probably at least start with a fluid change and take it from there.

Good Luck !!

Old 08-29-2007, 12:43 AM
supradean
Default RE: New member! Glad to be here! 98.5 24 valve transmission issue. Can you help?

well i have heard it can be a few diff things.
bands
fluid
torque converter
tranny
programming
?????? the problem feels so small its amazing.....im def being very picky because 2 other people dove it and said it was perfect.

Old 08-29-2007, 01:05 AM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When was the tranny serviced last? Any other mods that you know of? BTW, Welcome!

Old 08-29-2007, 01:08 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

welcome and enjoy the truck. Definately gt whatever service records availabel and cehck your fluid see if brnt or not.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:48 AM
supradean

fluid is clean clean clean. truck is clean clean clean. i can smell a burning of clutches smell by the air filter when i open the hood after driving it. The truck is bone stock.
Would this be only a torque converter? or tranny?
or even something smaller.

Quick Reply: New member! Glad to be here! 98.5 24 valve transmission issue. Can you help?