Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

'06 Transmission overheat

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 11:51 AM
RobertJRose
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '06 Transmission overheat

Wanted to see if anyone has any experience with an overheated transmission warning. I've got an '06 3500 Mega Cab 4wd automatic with the 5.9 diesel. Yesterday after some moderate and brief mountain type driving near the end of a 130 mile interstate trip, the tranny temp idiot light popped on. I was towing a toy hauler which for this trip weighed in at around 8000 lbs. I was towing in "tow/haul" mode. 26k miles on the truck/tranny. Prior to the warning light the truck sounded like the RPM's were way too high (but still in the 2800 range). My wife even noticed the truck sounded funny! Fortunately this occurred as I was pulling into my driveway. I find it hard to believe just about 10 miles of mountain type driving should overheat the tranny, especially since I've had so many trouble free hill climbing experiences. Time to explore the vast knowledge of of the members. Any suggestions or experiences appreciated!

Old 09-04-2007, 12:05 PM
aka_chewy
All Star
Default RE: '06 Transmission overheat

Just a guess, but maybe a time for a tranny fluid flush. how many miles are on the truck now?

Old 09-04-2007, 12:30 PM
RobertJRose

Just under 26,000. It's an Arizona truck, so lots of high temps.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:57 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

If you got an idiot light you probably fried that oil. I would have it checked out. If you are all stock, take it to the dealer and have them check it out. Your tranny shouldn't overheat pulling that weight even up big hills.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:25 PM
moconst
Veteran

I agree with Nick, Ive pulled way more than that for alot longer with no problems. Sounds like it might be time for a trip to the dealer to find out what the problem is. One thing I do(dont know if its proper or not) is when towing in steep terrain I use the overdrive off. In tow/haul the tranny will still go into 4th. when im towing in tow mode it seems the tranny does not downshift when it should. So overdrive off is where I stay until out of mountains. Anyhow good luck with it.

Old 09-04-2007, 10:41 PM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your tranny shouldn't overheat pulling that weight even up big hills.
I pulled about 8K almost 4000 miles with about 600-700 in the mtns(Wyo/Colo) and the tranny temp never got above 200 and 75-80 mph and I'm stock except for the Edge/Attitude. Yep, get it checked out.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:42 PM
RobertJRose

Thanks everybody for the input. Had it checked at the dealer and naturally they could not reproduce the symptoms. Tranny fluid was ok. There were also no "hard" codes stored in the computer. It will remain a mystery for now, but a real trans. temp. gauge is in my immediate future. I'd rather see the problem developing instead of waiting for the warning light.

Quick Reply: '06 Transmission overheat