Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Fluid Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 07:46 AM
Erock509
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fluid Help!!

Ok guys, well im gonna tackle my front and rear diffs today and possibly the tranny. Ive done searches on here to see what kind and how much fluid to use, honestly all the posts were a lil over whelming. I guess i really need to know how much fluid and what kind for the front and rear axles, stock covers. and what to do and what i need to service the tranny without flushing, thinking just drain the fluid and change the filter. any help would be great

Old 09-07-2007, 08:44 AM
Erock509
Veteran
Default RE: Fluid Help!!

I just got back from advanced and they didnt have anything, no tranny filter, guess too new?,, and only 1 qrt of diff fluid. Looks like im going to wally world later. still need some help though as far as what i need to do and use.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:59 AM
Joel_MD
Captain

For the differentials, use a 75w-90 GL-5 gear oil. Dodge uses a synthetic from the factory, but you can use a regular oil to save money if you want. The rear hold about 4.5 quarts, the front is a little more than 2 quarts.

For the trans, if you just want to drain and fill you only need about 4 quarts. If you want to flush out the torque converter using the cooling lines you need a lot more, probably 14 or more. If you need a filter and gasket, Geno's Garage has them. Here is a link: Geno's

Old 09-07-2007, 09:00 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

7 quarts of 75-90 gear oil, Synthetic if in the budget..... and I believe but not 100% sure that you will need 6 quarts of trans fluid ATF4. if going to wally buy a little extra and return what you don't use.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:15 AM
Erock509
Veteran

Ok thnx, if I do end up doing the tranny, do I need to replace the filter and gasket? and just to make sure, the gaskets on the diffs are reuseable right?

Old 09-07-2007, 10:57 AM
Erock509
Veteran

Well looks like im not working on my truck today. After going to advanced auto, they had nothing i needed, then i went to two different wally worlds and neither of them carried mopar atf, also the only synthetic gear lube they had was called super tech. The super tech brand was all over the place, it just looked like a cheap wally brand. I need some help, where can i get the mopar atf and some decent synthetic gear lube????

Old 09-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

be carefull and get a good lube oil for your diffs. . .getting the cheapest stuff may save you some cash up front, but your axel may burn out after 5K miles.

Old 09-07-2007, 12:23 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

ORIGINAL: Drew

be carefull and get a good lube oil for your diffs. . .getting the cheapest stuff may save you some cash up front, but your axel may burn out after 5K miles.
+-1

Old 09-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Erock509
Veteran

Today was the big day, I changed the diff fluid and what an experience it was. At first no problem at all taking the front diff cover off, then while I was puting it back on, I had bought a huge torque wrench, and while I was torquing the bolts, the wrench did not click as it was supposed to. So guess what happened, I crancked the dam thing on there and snapped a bolt in half. Oh boy I tell you what, a million things were racing through my head, mostly "oh SH**". Well I ended up getting the broken halfout easy and going up to discount for a temp bolt and going to dodge for a stock one in the morning. Anyway the rear went smooth, and all got done. The front lube was actually pretty clear, and the rear was dark. So at least I got it done. Also did the power steering fluid. Im done for a while. Thnx for all the info.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:23 PM
ga_noplugs

ORIGINAL: Erock509

So guess what happened, I crancked the dam thing on there and snapped a bolt in half. Oh boy I tell you what, a million things were racing through my head, mostly "oh SH**". Well I ended up getting the broken halfout easy and going up to discount for a temp bolt and going to dodge for a stock one in the morning.

Well this seems to be a trend. I changed my rear diff last weekend and also snapped a bolt.
Personally, Im just going to get a whole new set of bolts and toss the old ones next time I do the fluid.

Quick Reply: Fluid Help!!