Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

So I looked at the truck (98 Ram 2500 12V)...need more advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 01:18 AM
savage.basher
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: So I looked at the truck (98 Ram 2500 12V)...need more advice

I say walk away (or offer him an amount YOU think is good). I think you should be able to find a better truck, just keep looking. Watermelon is right, you don't want to buy a fixer upper if the money is a little tight. My suggestion is to look for a private seller too, instead of a used car lot. I have always steered away from the used car lots, cause theyare able (and will)hide problems that the typical private seller may not know how to cover up. Looking for a sick shift is probably a good idea too, gettin in an older ctd with an auto could prove to be pretty expensive if you start having tranny problems.

Old 09-09-2007, 05:54 PM
ghunt81

I have been checking autotrader.com on a regular basis (that's where I found this truck), but I can't find much with a stick even searching in a 100 mile radius. Seems like all the dodges I find are '99+ and priced out of my range. My brother just bought an '01 and it was $18,800, I regularly see the 24 valves for around that price. The same guy that had this '98, also had an '01 with a 5 speed and 116K on it, for $21,000 which seems ridiculous to me.

Well, the search continues I guess...I can't find many Dodges around here in my price range. A few Fords, I found a place in Uniontown PA that has a nice looking '97 F250 powerstroke/5 speed for cheap ($11,000), but it has almost no options, and the stories I've heard of the $1000 sets of injectors for the powerstrokes scare me! But, over on ford-trucks.com, most of those guys report good reliability from their trucks. So I dunno.

I wish I wasn't so limited on my amount I could spend, but them's the breaks I guess...

Old 09-09-2007, 06:14 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: mopar98

Here's a real good dealer.
My buddy bought a truck from them.
and it's in ohio
www.magnamtruck.com

I'm not trying to steer ya just tryin to help.

Lol wow! That is literally about one mile from my house! It is a small world lol. Anyways they are a pretty good dealer and they have some nice trucks, last week I saw a nice 2nd gen 2500 sitting out there...

Old 09-09-2007, 10:34 PM
2007 SLT Hemi Power
Professional

no way man, the truck has been trashed, I would not pay $2500 for it, walk away fast!

Old 09-10-2007, 03:16 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I agree with everyone else here. Make the guy a low ball offer. It costs you absolutely NOTHING to do that. Worst case, he say's no, no biggie, best case, he bites, but don't let him counter offer you, stick your guns with whatever number you think is right. Someone here said 8K ... that sounds about right. You can spend the other 4K on it to bring it up to where it should be then.

Offer him 8K, if he say's no, then walk away and keep looking. I hate to admit it, but times are getting harder and harder on people these days so I think you're going to see more and more trucks / cars / ANYTHING going up for sale soon.

Old 09-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

I agree with everyone else here. Make the guy a low ball offer. It costs you absolutely NOTHING to do that. Worst case, he say's no, no biggie, best case, he bites, but don't let him counter offer you, stick your guns with whatever number you think is right. Someone here said 8K ... that sounds about right. You can spend the other 4K on it to bring it up to where it should be then.

Offer him 8K, if he say's no, then walk away and keep looking. I hate to admit it, but times are getting harder and harder on people these days so I think you're going to see more and more trucks / cars / ANYTHING going up for sale soon.
Yeah, I agree. People think their junk is worth money, they will try to sell anything at any price they want.

Old 09-10-2007, 04:35 PM
ghunt81

It's not even worth my time to make that jackass an offer because I know he won't accept it.

Two things tipped me off to this-
#1, if you look at pictures of the truck on autotrader, the trees in the background have buds on them still. The guy's had the truck since March and still hasn't sold it.
#2. The ad for the truck has the mileage listed as 142,022 miles. When I test drove it, it had 142,089 miles. That means people have put nearly 70 miles on the truck test driving it and still nobody has bought it. He won't accept the fact that the price he wants does not correspond to the truck's condition.

The first guy I talked to at the dealership, one of the first things out of his mouth was "You know how rare that is? They made less than 500 of them" and the other guy told me that it's the "'69 Camaro of diesel trucks."

I don't get WTF is so special about the truck just because it's a quad cab. Who cares? There are plenty of other 12V cummins out there with a stick behind them in better shape.

I'm back out searching the market but man, there isn't much out there. I don't want a dually or a crew cab and that rules out some of what I find. I've found a couple powerstrokes, and I know cummins people like to talk crap on them, but they're good engines and if that's what I can find, so be it.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:19 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

ORIGINAL: ghunt81

It's not even worth my time to make that jackass an offer because I know he won't accept it.

Two things tipped me off to this-
#1, if you look at pictures of the truck on autotrader, the trees in the background have buds on them still. The guy's had the truck since March and still hasn't sold it.
#2. The ad for the truck has the mileage listed as 142,022 miles. When I test drove it, it had 142,089 miles. That means people have put nearly 70 miles on the truck test driving it and still nobody has bought it. He won't accept the fact that the price he wants does not correspond to the truck's condition.

The first guy I talked to at the dealership, one of the first things out of his mouth was "You know how rare that is? They made less than 500 of them" and the other guy told me that it's the "'69 Camaro of diesel trucks."

I don't get WTF is so special about the truck just because it's a quad cab. Who cares? There are plenty of other 12V cummins out there with a stick behind them in better shape.

I'm back out searching the market but man, there isn't much out there. I don't want a dually or a crew cab and that rules out some of what I find. I've found a couple powerstrokes, and I know cummins people like to talk crap on them, but they're good engines and if that's what I can find, so be it.
But the thing is, a powerstroke is not a good engine. The truck aint half bad, its the drivetrain. Take your time, these things do not happen overnight. I have seen loads of people even from this site that looked and looked for the truck they wanted and when they found it, they flew half way across the country to get it. Btw, did you check ebay?

Old 09-10-2007, 05:38 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: ghunt81
I've found a couple powerstrokes, and I know cummins people like to talk crap on them, but they're good engines and if that's what I can find, so be it.
Are you outta your effing mind ???

I think you're suffering from heat stroke. Have some tea ..

Old 09-10-2007, 06:07 PM
UpBranchLiner

and some Coco too! (i like the see threw dress, classy)

Quick Reply: So I looked at the truck (98 Ram 2500 12V)...need more advice