Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

12V or 24V?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007 | 10:41 PM
wayneo360
|
Professional
Default 12V or 24V?

hey guys.. within the next year or so i want to get a 2nd gen cummins and i was wondering if i should be looking for a 12v or 24v? is there any real big difference between the 2? and also should i be looking for a auto or manual? im going to be going to college after this school year so im going to want to drive it there im giong to be driving it alot on the street and taking it for trips home a couple times a year. not goin to b doing too much off roading or anything mostly street driving. i want to put like a 6" lift on it as well so im wondering if if the auto or manual trans will hold up better to bigger tires.. anything will help guys thanks..

Old 09-09-2007 | 11:28 PM
ghunt81
Default RE: 12V or 24V?

Don't own one myself but I've been doing plenty of research lately since I'm looking into one myself.

Biggest difference between the 12valve and the 24 valve is that the 12 valve is all mechanical (no electronics) and the 24 valve is electronic so it's controlled by a computer (and hence you can use tuners and whatnot with it). 12 valve trucks will be older than the 24 valve ones since the 12 valve was only made up through the first half of 1998.

Also, the auto transmissions are not known for stellar reliability.

Old 09-09-2007 | 11:32 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned
Default RE: 12V or 24V?

if ya desire speed and performance, locate a well cared for 24 valve. My inlaws found a late 90's/ early 2000 dually that was already chipped, and enhanced to the hilt.

as far as trans go, auto for crusin and not much horsin around, 5 speed so you can controll rpm and boost when you need it.

I find it harder to breath black diesel death with my auto vs when i see the 5 speeds kickin it.