Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

couple of problems help

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 08:23 PM
12vanthony
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple of problems help

just bought a '97 couple of months ago. i got some problems i could use a hand with. first i got water pouring in my cab through the bottom of my rear window any ideas how to fix. second sometimes takes 2-3 cycles to start runs great once it starts been told lift pump is that correct. if so $? Last my 4 low works sweet / but when i engage 4 high the light comes on saying its engaged but my back two tires just keep on spinning. What could be wrong. and what is a good manual to buy so i can do stuff myself. Any suggestions on AT tires. Thanks guys

Old 09-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Silverline
Veteran
Default RE: couple of problems

First you don't have an electric lift pump. They started using those in 98.5, so that's a good thing for you. What you have is a mechanical pump that's on the engine block just below and in front of the fuel filter. As for the hard starting, is the starter having to turn 2+ times or are you having to actually click the key back and forth for full starts before it will fire? I'd change the fuel filter and see if that helps anything. Sounds like it might be dirty and the truck is having a hard time getting fuel past it.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:34 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

the rear window needs a new seal. youre gonna have to have it replaced!

hard starting..as mentioned, start with the fuel filter. easy and less $$ than pumps.

add some power service (grey bottle) diesel additive with cetane boostto the tank at fill up. 24 gallon tank, 1/2 bottle. thatll help clean things out also.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:36 PM
12vanthony
Rookie

i mean i have to crank to starter over 2-3 times before it will fire only does this every so often but when it happens it will be 2-3 times during one day. i just replced fuel filter 1000miles ago.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:11 AM
Ralph78
Professional
Default RE: couple of problems help

What is your idle speed? When mine idled at 875 RPM in gear, air con. on, it started on the first compression stroke. When I had the fuel return line replaced, the tech. reduced the idle to 700 RPM in gear, air con. on. Now I need to give it a little throttle to get it to start on the first compression stroke. I have heard that the correct idle for the 12 Valve with an automatic, is 800 RPM in gear, air con. on.

If anyone can confirm the best idle speed I would appreciate it, as adjusting the idle speed is a PITA, so I only want to do it once.

Ralph

Quick Reply: couple of problems help