Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Little hard to start

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007 | 03:28 PM
rjc1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little hard to start

Hi,
Again thanks for the Diag. codes on my other post....my husband wanted me to ask if anyone had any suggestions on why one would start a little hard. Cranks over quite a few times before starting....we are used to our older one (1994) that soon as you turn he switch it starts. Ours is a 2003, just got it and that seems to be the only thing is that it starts a bit hard. My brother in-law has the same issue with his...his is a 2001(his started after he had the pump turned up)...Ours does have a chip, not the box. The guy said it was set on the lowest setting......

So any suggestions would be great and thanks!!

Rhonda

Old 09-15-2007 | 03:32 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Little hard to start

sometimes these 3rd gen's will fire right off. . .other times they wont. . .theres no rhyme of reason behind it. however what has happened is the fuel rail has lost its pressure and the CP3 needs to build it back up in order to get good flow through the injectors.

every so often mine will take longer to start than other times. other times it seems to hit right off the bat. As long as she fires off your ok.

Old 09-15-2007 | 07:19 PM
ZmanTRX4
Professional

My 06 was the same way. Sometimes it would crank for like 10 seconds and other times it would fire right up on the first or second crank. I finally found a TSB on it and got my ECM reflashed and it has started much better every since. I'd suggest going to the dealership and asking them about it.

Old 09-15-2007 | 07:34 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned

I would see the dealer and inquire about any firmware updates.

Old 09-16-2007 | 06:43 AM
MN Cummins Lvr

Hi Rhonda,

I agree w/Zman TRX4, maybe get the TSB done to have the ECM reflashed for long cranking times on the 3rd gens. The 3rd gen Cummins do have longer cranking times than previousyearsbecause of the common rail injection and electronics.I haven't experienced it (yet) on my 05. On my old 92 Cummins, it starts so fast I barely hear the starter. Also, you can't really compare your 03 to your brother-in-law's 01 because of entirely different injection systems. Good luck!

Paul

Quick Reply: Little hard to start