Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Power Loss

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 08:21 PM
meat
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Loss

I drive my 98 cummins 24 valve after engine is cooled, and within the first couple minutes the rpm's go down to zero (as if the gauge has stopped working), which results in a bit of a power loss (kinda laggy). then after a couple more minutes the rpm's shoot up to where they should be and I get full power back. Now this only happens after a cool engine and once i get the full power back, the rpm's will not drop again until the next driving time and the truckhas beenshutoff and engine has coooled. any answers orsuggestions???

Old 09-15-2007, 10:02 PM
Kev_n_AZ
Banned
Default RE: Power Loss

change fuel filter first.

then if it continues, it may be a faulty pump or computer .

sounds like lack of fuel pressure after it sits.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:32 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

after the fuel filter change, get your lift pump pressure tested to make sure it is still working properly. . .if the lift pump dies your injector pump will also die if your not quick to recognize the problem.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:08 PM
meat

Ihave changed the fuel filter 3 times in the last 6 months thinking the same thing, soI will go the other routes now. Thanks

Old 09-16-2007, 12:19 PM
hocheck
Rookie

My 98 24 valve 1 ton used to do the same thing. I would watch the voltmeter and it would drop to arounds 8 amps or so. I would have a power loss. I always figured that I wasnt getting enough juice to lift pump so thats what caused it. It would do it real bad on cold mournings.

Quick Reply: Power Loss