Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Yet another front-end question

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007 | 09:40 AM
GlenninTexas
|
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another front-end question

I've got a 2000 model 2500 CTD 4x4 with about 120K mile.It also has 305/70-17 tires. I get a little steering wheel play - not significant, but some.
I got underneath to see if I could adjust the steering box. There's a nut in the center on the top side that I loosened, thinking the adjustment screw required an allen wrench. Iwas not able to find an allen wrench to fit, and I have plenty. So the questions are;
Was I trying to adjust the correct place? If so, is this a hex or maybe it requires a Torx wrench?
Also while under there Ichecked the trac bar and found I could easily rotate it back and forth quite a bit. From reading past threads, sounds like I need to replace the trac bar???

Regards, Glenn

Old 09-17-2007 | 12:46 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts
Default RE: Yet another front-end question

Yes your steering adjustment requires the allen wrench. it could be a metric one and that's why you couldnt find one that fits. If you loosen the lock nut and screw in the adjuster by 1/2 turn increments, you should find a good setting. if you go to far your steering will bind up and it wont return to a straight ahead position when coming out of a turn. Over in the 2nd gen forum there is a link to the FSM if you dont already have it.

on the tracbar... they are junk, i'd swap it out for a better one. here is one option... http://www.thurenfabrication.com/stocktb.html I had this bar and liked it. I just recieved a new bar for my '05 saturday and will be doing the install this week (maybe today).

Quick Reply: Yet another front-end question