Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Crappy AC Design... HACKED!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 10:34 AM
SoNauty
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crappy AC Design... HACKED!!!

Ok, I love my truck but the A/C SUX ( https://dodgeforum.com/m_853349/mpag.../tm.htm#853349). Well I think I have it licked!

A buddy of mine called me the other day and told me that if Imake him some salsa he will let me in on a little secret. Well after a few hours of slicing and dicing I loaded the family and went on over. He loaded me into his MONSTER dodge rig and fired it up. He put his A/C on the second notch and sure enough... it felt like mine does on full blast. Well he had dropped the fan out of the vent system under the dash on the passenger side, reached up and pulled that damper out that selects fresh and recir air. Of course he broke the damper so he will have to replace it if he ever wants that functionality back but his air blows much better.

Well I got home last night and (much to my wifes dismay) went to work on mine. Dropped the fan and not wanting to break the damper I looked for an anternate workaround. I pulled the glove box and was able to see really good up into the dash. I noticed that there was a wire clip that fed power to the servo that opens and closes this damper. I played with my ***** a little (keep it clean boys!) and found that I can acheive almost the same outcome if I adjust the **** and pull the plug as it was in the middle of it's closing procedure.

Well my vents blow more air but since it was late at night, and here in the desert late at night only means about 100 degrees and not the usual 1500 degrees, i was not able to fully testfor comfort. I will test it today and let everyone know.

My outlook on this is that the airbox just does not have adequate air supply available to it. It actually starves! So when you do this, you are giving it 2 ways to breathe and have the ability to push more air.

I will let all you turkeys know as soon as I can. I need the temp to get over the temperature of HOLY **** WHY DO I LIVE IN THE DESERT and I should be able to give you a full comfort level report.

Thx all!!! Long live Sharky and his massive stack!!!

Old 09-17-2007, 12:32 PM
handymanherb
Banned
Default RE: Crappy AC Design... HACKED!!!

I run in recirc in stop and go traffic and it's works better than leaving it in normal, then ever time I stop the temp goes up, but it's maintains temp in recirc and you can turn the fan down after a few minutes.

It's still hot in Fla, all you have to do is walk outside and your sweating up a storm

Old 09-17-2007, 02:49 PM
sharx ram
Champion

hehehe your too funny Hows my girl doing? Im still waiting for pics hehehe

Old 09-17-2007, 04:39 PM
mrfixit454

I just picked up left over 2006 Mega SLT last June and this has been my complaint too. If you will notice, a ton of air will come out of the defrost vents and the floor vents when in those postions but 1/2 as much does when set on dash vents. It would seem that the system is capable but has issues when air is set you your face. I think the blend door is not calibrated? I don't think mine is broken becauseit directs air to the proper places but I guess I will have it checked. I say this because when I wear flip flops, I feel a little cold air (when on A/C) at my feet when the **** is set to face. As others have stated, on the freeway for long periods it does 42 deg. nicely at 116 outside. Around town stop and go is a different story. I have yet to add tint to the front doors and I also noticed that my windshield does not have tint at the top either which might help a little. A ton of heat seems to come off of this huge windshield. I am not too keen on the compressor slam on star up either. It's a horrible noise that the sealer claims is normal. Doesn't sounds normal to me.

I have a 2001 Quad cab that was replaced by the Mega and I drive it from time to time while it's forsale. I am amazed at how much air flows from that system. In that truck, I alwayshad to turn it to low fan after 15/20 minutes or so it was so cold. I would have kept this vehicle but its tough getting 3 car seat in the back. Also... I never had to use recirculate on this vehicle but I sure do have to on the Mega or it does not get cold enough.

SoNauty, Please keep us posted on your progress.

Old 09-17-2007, 11:23 PM
dennis288

hi guys. I'm new to this forum, but I joined this just to get in touch with folks like you about this a/c problem. I too live in the desert. and I am also a veteran a/c mechanic for over 15 years. I too tried playing with the recirc. doors, checked my freon charge, brought it back to the dealer, they told me nothing I didn't already know. here is the problem. On the diesels trucks from dodge only. the condenser for the a/c is right in front when you pop the hood (fine) intercooler behind it, tranning cooler behind that.(again fine) The radiator is behind all that, of which you will notice is wrap nice and tight with factory fan shoud. Which ensures all and proper airflowbythe radiator fan. The other three up front including our a/c condenser fan which in the desert most definitely need good airflow has no fan shoud wrapped around it. so airflow is not precise and not plentyful. That is why when you are stuck in traffic, the radiator fan alone can't do the job of pulling air thru the front three coils (condenser) properly. giving you poor a/c temperature. Dodge needs to finish the fan shroud all the way up to the front three coils.and when your on the highway doing highway speeds, your a/c works better because you have more air going across your coils. I e-mailed dodge, showed the service manager at dodge (he agreed with me) called up dodge, got a reference #. but because this is an engineering issue. they told me they can only look into it for now. So I'm letting the word out. Maybe all you guys can complain to dodge also. maybe we can have more power in numbers.

Quick Reply: Crappy AC Design... HACKED!!!