Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

block heater.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 12:36 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default block heater.

does all 3rd gens come with the heater installed already? where do I look to find out. there is someone selling a plug that plugs into the factory block heater. I would like to get it but dont know if I have the heater.

thx

Old 09-19-2007, 12:54 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker
Default RE: block heater.

Ok to answer my own question.
03-07 dodge trucks with the CTD all come standard with the block heater.
unless you have the cold package from the factory there will not be a plug.

Do not buy this plug from the dealer. it will cost you 60-80 dollars.

Genos garage has them for $29.95.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:45 PM
triton
Record Breaker

no they don't all come with them. It depends on the package you get with the truck. When I bought my wifes truck ( 07 2500 CTD QC ) it didn't have it. It was one of the things I asked that they install before I bought it. They did it but, weren't about to throw a cord in with it. Like you said... they wanted $70 for it !

You can get the cords on ebay for $10 to $20 and then I bought the female bumper plug from Geno's for a convenient plug in.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:57 PM
savage.basher

You are correct about the new trucks coming with a block heater standard,andno plug unless optionally equipped.

I bought mine from the dealer, it was $40 after tax. The original MOPAR heater cord ispossibly gonna bethe cleanest way to go, since it allready has the clips in the right place so you can run the cord in the factory location. I would suggest not buying one off of ebay just to save a few dollars (who knows,it may come, and not even be long enough to reach your grill).

I did not know Geno's sold the heater cord?... I thought they only had the Wigidigit block heater bumper plugs (which do not come with a heater cord, and are meant to be used with the factory heater cord).

The bumper plug available from Geno's does look pretty nice though .

Old 09-19-2007, 02:10 PM
triton
Record Breaker

the cords on ebay are Cummins cords. Maybe there are other on there that aren't but, when I bought mine, the guys had a load of Cummins cords and a search show even more. Maybe the 6.7L are oming standard with them but, like I said... if it's in the package you will have it if it's not, you won't.

Before I bought my wifes truck.... I told them.. before I buy, I want the block heater, LSD, wheel well covers and steering wheel with radio controls installed as the truck didn't have that stuff in it's package even though it was a Laramie package. They were happy to do it to sell me the truck, why they held out on the ord I'll never know

Old 09-19-2007, 02:25 PM
GOD RAM IT
Record Breaker

I just found my plug in and it is directly into the block of the motor. thats a lot of work

Old 09-19-2007, 02:43 PM
BLEWMONEY
Rookie

msrp on the block heater cord is $53.10 you need to watch dealers that mark up and sell above msrp. i usually only see this in areas where
cost of living and realestate is very expensive. and yes all the 03 to 07 cummins motors have the heater element already in the cylinder head.
its easier to see from under the front of the truck if you havnt found it. i had to add the cord to my truck the dealer i bought it from got it from
a dealer in south carolina, they probably dont have much call for a block heater there.

Quick Reply: block heater.