Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Help! Won't take fuel off of idle.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 10:31 AM
Eldorado63
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Won't take fuel off of idle.

Hello All,

I am a newbie in two ways. One is to a forum environment and the other is to the diesel family. I have a 2000/ 3500 / 2 wheel drive Dually/ 6 speed with 13" HD clutch. I have not done any upgrades other than the clutch to this point.
My truck laid down on me and will not take any fuel off idle. She idles perfect but when fuel is applied sounds like a coffee can full of rocks and the whole truck shakes. My mind is taking me towards the MAF but have not been able to download the code from the ECM as of yet.
Any of you fine folks have any thoughts on how to resurrect my baby?

Old 09-21-2007, 11:42 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help! Won't take fuel off of idle.

stop running the engine right now. . .infact, dont even crank it. . .your lift pump has died and you need to get it replaced.

I'm not sure if you can do this with the '00's but turn the key from off to run three times and get back with us on any codes that are displayed.

if you search a few pages back in this section you will see a thread on a sale on Fass fuel pumps. . .I would suggest you give them a hard look as well as the walbro kits from Glacier Diesel Performance.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:32 PM
Eldorado63

Drew,

Thanks for the reply. I have to borrow a reader to get the codes. Should be able to get them this weekend.
I have probably 30 minutes of idle running since this issue arose. What type of damage might I have caused by doing this?
Anything you have to offer is appreciated?

Old 09-21-2007, 03:00 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the VP44 is cooled and lubricated by the diesel fuel. once that supply of fuel goes away the pump overheats and the distributer begins to weld itself to the houseing. once that happens you cannot do much else but replace it and that can get expensive.

this is a major flaw of the bosch VP44 injector pump, it just cannot live without a steady supply of fuel from the lift pump. usualy 12+ psi at idle, 8 or so crusing, and 4-6 with your foot in it.

the 30 min of idling you have I hope has not done any damage.if you get any codes hope you only get theone that points to a malfunction of the lift pump, if you get a P0216 code then you can pretty much say your injector pump is gone. if you do get to the point where your VP44 is gone there are quite a few sites that do sell new/rebuilt units. member Bajafun came across this site http://www.mwfi.com/VP44.htmwhen his VE pump crapped out on him. . .they have the best prices for stock units.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:27 PM
Eldorado63

Drew,
I finally was able to get the codes. I had several reader issues to work through but here they are, whatever help you can offer is appreciated.
P0251
P0252
P0253
P1688
P1689
P1698

I really appreciate your assistance with this.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:59 PM
Watermelon
Captain

There is a CTD faq the top of our main page. It has a list of codes and their meanings. Just scroll down and you will find them. Good Luck

Quick Reply: Help! Won't take fuel off of idle.