Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

More fuel pressure woes

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007 | 05:32 PM
CowboyBob
|
Record Breaker
Default More fuel pressure woes

Looks like my brand new Walbro pump died. When at idle it produces the correct amount of PSI, but when push on the throttle, it drops to 0 then hovers around 2-3 psi. Let off the thrttle, and it goes back to 17 psi and stays there. It only does this when the vehicle is moving. If I mash it to the floor whith my foot on the clutch, it looks ok on the fp gauge. The truck never misses or gives any hint of fuel starvation so I'm thinking it could be the quadzilla fp gauge. Any ideas on what the problem could be? Here is what I have tried so far and it still does not work.

1) Hardwired it to 12v, bypassing the relay.
2) No shorts in wiring.
3) Tightened all fittings to make sure it was not sucking in air on the pickup side.
4) Put 10 gallons of gas in the tank just to make sure the pickup was working.
5) Put a mechanical fuel pressure gauge on the test port at the fuel filter and it reads 17 PSI at idle, but when I step on the throttle, it viberates so violently that I can't read it. Although it never went below 12 psi.

Old 09-26-2007 | 01:28 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Default RE: More fuel pressure woes

Are you ready yet ....

Old 09-27-2007 | 09:06 AM
CowboyBob
|
Record Breaker
Default RE: More fuel pressure woes

No. Itis the Quadzilla. They have confirmed that theyare having problems with the fuel pressure sensor. I have been driving the truck all week andthe Walbroruns fine. I just freaked out when I saw 0 PSI on the gauge. I was affraid I was going to ruin the VP44.

Quick Reply: More fuel pressure woes