Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

I'm Tony. Intro, question, pic.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 09:33 PM
tonyslaramie
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm Tony. Intro, question, pic.

Good evening,[/align][/align]With all due respect, I've decided to introduce myself here rather than the "intro area"as this is the one chapter of dodgeforum.com where I'll spend the bulk of my time.[/align][/align]My name is Tony, I live in the Seattle area. I'm a BMW technician by trade, and an American car, truck, motorcycleenthusiast by hobby. I have an education on gas, diesel, refrigeration and hydraulics.I've been lingering in the background for the past year give or take using the search function and learning as much as possible, this is really a great source of input, information and a generally friendly community, thank you!!! [/align][/align]I've owned since 12/06 a 2006 CTD Laramie 4x4 QCM/TI've got about 15,000 miles on it now and I love my truck, my father owns a 2006 CTD Laramie 4x4 MC M/T. He bought his about 3 months prior to mine, and I'll admit it was his truck that drove me to get one.[/align][/align]I have made a couple enhancments, I added factory HomeLink. I added a 10" subwoofer and amplifier with new speakers in the front doors, it was a fun project I fabbed my own single 10" endclosure under the rear seat and lifted the rear seats about 1.5" for clearance, it also gave the cab a "stadium seating" affect which is cool, you can see over the passenger and driver's head when crusing down the road. I bought aluminum wheels, filled in the groove under the chrome clad and painted them gloss black with IMRON epoxy based paint, wrapped them with 35x12.5 BFG muds, stuffed them under the truck with a 2" leveling kit in the front ... looks good. I added fender flares, painted them in the mineral grey metalic, gives the truck a deeper, cut look... trying to be different, sheesh.[/align][/align]Anywho, since the bigger tires and what not my speedo is about 10% off, and I'm considering the Smarty to recalibrate the ABS module for the larger diameter tires, it's not the cheapest route, but I like what I've read about it and would'nt mind the mildest of the power settings. I'm an easy driver, I respect the truck and I plan on owning this for the 'long haul' I don't want more trouble than reason should suggest. I'm considering the walbro pump option with the performance box, what will I notice with the Smarty? driving characteristics? cluctch failures? fuel starvation? input would be gratefully appriciated. I'm not looking for anything too extreme, I want to preserve the longevity this engine truly dictates amongst the other trucks on the road.[/align][/align]

[IMG]local://upfiles/51817/270DF00D99004919BCBAE0EF1AC712D2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-30-2007, 09:44 PM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: I'm Tony. Intro, question, pic.

Welcome! Nice looking rig! I think there's a few here who have the Smarty and I'm sure they'll chime in.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:50 PM
bksram3500
Record Breaker

Welcome to the forum

Old 09-30-2007, 10:06 PM
lilfroger
Record Breaker

Welcome to fun land - - Jake and I need a little Western WA back up

As for the spedo being off - - since you put 35's on it have you had the ECM re-calibrated by the dealer yet? My dealer did it for me for free it brought the speedo a lot closer to 'on'. I'm still about .6 miles off over 10 miles right now; but that is close enough for goverment work I guess). Not trying to talk you out of the chip or anything but it might be a faster way to go.

Old 09-30-2007, 10:41 PM
tonyslaramie
Professional

I've thought about having the dealer tweak the calibration, but that would waste my justification for getting the smarty sooner rather than later. The power the truck makes now is sufficiant for what I use it for (commuting, towing a boat, towing an excavator, backhoe, etc) I'd just like the bottom end opened up a bit, the pronounced torque managmentof the OE software is annoying to me... that turbo-lag feeling.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:00 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

smarty is a very good downlaoder. . .and the only one toraise the rev limiter to4000 rpm

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t=MVI_0151.flv

Old 09-30-2007, 11:26 PM
bksram3500
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: Drew

smarty is a very good downlaoder. . .and the only one toraise the rev limiter to4000 rpm

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t=MVI_0151.flv

Wouldn't that be a bad idea?

Old 09-30-2007, 11:50 PM
tonyslaramie
Professional

I guess it's only going to go as fast as you ask it to, but at the same time.... 4,000? Yikes.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:11 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

Welcome and that is a sweet rig. I had the dealer rset my calibration for the 35's and is pretty darn accurate. I personally have the diablo sport predator and I am happy, great programmer and a great price. I learned last night that I still lack a little bottom end, but I am going to do some transmission upgrades before any more power gets added to the truck.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:13 AM
jakebrake
Champion

Why not? All the people I know running the 12v with the stiffer governor springs haven't had problems yet. I can't speak on the smarty since I have the edge comp. But everyone I know who has one loves them. I've been thinking on stacking it with my comp box someday down the road.

On a side note, its nice to see another from western waWelcome aboard

Quick Reply: I'm Tony. Intro, question, pic.