Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

probe install for EGT

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 09:19 PM
srttrucker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default probe install for EGT

hey guys, i have looked over some of the previous threads on EGT gauge probe installs. I didnt know if i could get some more input. what do u think???? where is the best place before or after turbo???

Old 10-04-2007, 09:32 PM
NCcummins
Record Breaker
Default RE: probe install for EGT

Everyone says that before is better, then you can watch for your valves to burn up and also watch your turbo. But i didnt know at the time and put it after. But Ill prob end up putting a another one in front and run duals on a switch..

its all in yuor prefernce and what u want to view.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:46 PM
jedrph
Rookie

I'm in the same boat. it depends on what you want to do. There was a good thread somewhere with pro's and con's of each place. For myself, I'm probably going to put it post turbo because I want to know the turbo temp before shutting down. Pre-turbo is the way to go if you are towing a lot or chipping. I don't plan on chipping and towing only once in a while, so the turbo's health is more important to me. The ideal setup would be both pre and post with 2 gauges, or a single dual pointer gauge. Also, post turbo there is no way of getting bad things (metal shavings, broken probe etc) in the turbo, but with care that shouldn't be a problem. One last thought: pre-turbo will most definately give you the most accurate reading on what the engine is doing, but I don't think it's an issue if you don't plan on chipping/towing. I've read that post turbo will read on average 300 degrees lower than pro turbo. so anything post turbo approaching 1000 degrees, you better get off the pedal!!

Old 10-04-2007, 11:09 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

post turbo if you only have plans on mild mods and tow light to moderate weight. pre turbo if you are planning on BOMBing her or towing heavy.

pre turbo will let you know if your about to melt a valve or drop a valve seat on the CR's and give you alot of warning if your about to melt the turbo. post turbo will let you know if your about to burn up the turbo.

personaly, the closer you have it to the heat source the better.

Quick Reply: probe install for EGT