Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2n Steering Box

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Flent
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2n Steering Box

So last weekend I went to Ocean City with some friends for the weekend, it is about a 3 hour drive from my house. The truck ran great on the way down and back. A buddy of mine was letting me use his bully dog and on the performance setting I was getting 19.2 mpg with 4.10's. When I got back hme the wife and I went out to dinner and I started to notice a weird noise comeing from the front end of the truck. It was a click sound that when you would turn to the wheel to the left and right it would click once to twice. When we got home from dinner I grabed the flash light and crawled uder the truck to have a look. I had the wife turning the wheel back and forth while I was looking for the culprit but could not locate it since it seemed to be coming from the front of the steering box. The next day I took the truck to the dealer to have it looked at. The dealer called me back about 3 hours later saying the steering box was bad and I was shocked, they said the new box would be in the following day. I asked them why the truck was on it second steering box in a month since the origonal blew out the seal where the pitman arm mounts and in turn burned out the pump. The ofcourse said must have been a bad batch. So I got the truck back the next day everything working great. What a pain.

Thanks for listening to me vent.
Charles.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:32 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 2n Steering Box

dang man. . .lets just hope that is the end of your problems. . .atleast it didnt blow out on you while on the road.

Old 10-06-2007, 03:06 PM
Flent
Rookie

That was the case with the first one. I was on my way home from the bar (only had two beers) stoped to get fuel and noticed a weird noise from front end. When I pulled out of the royal farms the noise got worse and I pulled over to find fluid everywhere. I was 5 minutes from my house but did not want to move the truck and had to wait 3 hours for a tow truck [:@]was I pissed.

Old 10-06-2007, 04:01 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

now thats what you call a buzz kill

Old 10-07-2007, 07:57 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

Hey man at least you haven't gone through 4 like I have. The one that is in my truck now actually lasted longer than a year! I had one that lasted 10 days, blew the seal right out the bottom!

Old 10-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Flent
Rookie

If I go through 2 more of these things I might bust out with the no lemon policy and see what that can get me. I do not want a new truck cuz I love the body style and interior of mine but I will be damned if I am going to be dealing with this issue.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:32 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Ocean City NJ or MD? I go to both often.

Old 10-14-2007, 10:54 AM
Flent
Rookie

Ocean City Maryland, I go there at least once a year.

Quick Reply: 2n Steering Box