Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Biggest tires for stock 17X7.5 rims

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 09:05 AM
rootercycles
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Biggest tires for stock 17X7.5 rims

I have a 2006 Dodge Cummins 4X4 with a 2" leveling kit. I am wondering what is the tallest tires I can put on these rims? I have been told that I am limited to a 285/60R/17 and that would be a stretch. I want to run a 305 but have been told that these would be too wide. I want a really tall tire but not necessarily a wide one. Any guidance is appreciated.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:31 AM
savage.basher
Default RE: Biggest tires for stock 17X7.5 rims

The biggest diameter tire you can run with no rubbing is a 33". Some people, depending on the width of the tire, have been able to run 35" diameter with no rubbing, probably because they stick to the road and have never actually flexed the suspension enough tho know that they do actually rub though. As long as you stay on the narrow side you should be able to go up to the 35" diameter.... the problem is, you will have trouble finding a (for example) 35/10.50r17. I am running 305/65r17 (pretty much a 33/12.50r17) with absolutley no rubbing at all, none at full lock or when I am flexing. If you put my tires on stock rims they wouldstick out1/4"-1/2"less. On stock rims there should be no rubbing issues either. I personally had 35/12.50r17 pro comp xterrains for about a week, and they did rub.... not on flat ground but if you were flexing with the wheel turned they rubbed bad.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:50 AM
Methos
Veteran

The problem is the 7.5" rims. Not many tires that size are rated to fit less than an 8" rim. I ran into this myself and decided it was time to go to the upgraded stock rims that are 17x8. I found the same thing you did that with the stock steel rims only being 7.5" that the options are very limited.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:07 AM
savage.basher

Anything less than 12" wide would probably be OK on the 7.5 wheel. However, you know that (in 17" diameter) thewheels are the cheap part... the tires are the expensive part. You can get good 17x8or9's for $100-$150 a piece brand new. Go to www.4wheelparts.com , they are running a special right now buy 3 tires and get the 4th and shipping for free!! Plus you could just get the wheels from them too, and have them mount and balance them for free. They will show up on your door step on a pallet mounted and balanced ready for you to throw them on your truck... that way you don't have to take your truck to one of those dirty tire shops so they can rub their oily boots all over the carpet in your truck , and you will save a little money too.

Mine where $1,399.xx (after everything)for the wheels and tires, mounted and balance, and shipped to my door. The local tire shops wanted that much $$ just for the tires alone.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:58 AM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

ORIGINAL: savage.basher

The biggest diameter tire you can run with no rubbing is a 33". Some people, depending on the width of the tire, have been able to run 35" diameter with no rubbing, probably because they stick to the road and have never actually flexed the suspension enough tho know that they do actually rub though. As long as you stay on the narrow side you should be able to go up to the 35" diameter.... the problem is, you will have trouble finding a (for example) 35/10.50r17. I am running 305/65r17 (pretty much a 33/12.50r17) with absolutley no rubbing at all, none at full lock or when I am flexing. If you put my tires on stock rims they wouldstick out1/4"-1/2"less. On stock rims there should be no rubbing issues either. I personally had 35/12.50r17 pro comp xterrains for about a week, and they did rub.... not on flat ground but if you were flexing with the wheel turned they rubbed bad.
HUH????? I am running leveled with 315 70 17's. 34.6 inch diamater. I do off road and flex and I have never rubbed. Frogger has 35/12.5/17's on hers.

Old 10-13-2007, 11:42 AM
rootercycles
Professional

what brand(s) are you guys running?

Old 10-13-2007, 12:17 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

I am running bfg all terrain k/o's. Frogger is running pro-comp extreme all terrains, Her tires are much better then mine and I will most likely be going with pro comp for my next set. I personally am partial to the x-terrain. but I might get there basic all terrain or mu d terrain or extreme all terrain. I am undecided on that. for the typ eof off roading I do (desert) all terrain is probably my best bet so I do not dig into the sand. Tire weight will probably be a selling point for me.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:50 PM
lilfroger
Record Breaker

Jimmy you are scaring me now - - You've got my stats memorized (even though you still can't spell my name)

Yes I've got the ProComp ATx 35's on mine (btw 4wheel pars in Tacoma is having a buy 3 get 1 free sale this weekend if anyone's interested ) There is no way I would have done it w/o the leveling kit though. One other thing I've noticed is not all leveling kits are the same. I've sat next to guys w/ 2 inch kits and I've got more room than they do. So I'm sure some of the difference we are seeing in rub is because of our leveling kits being slightly different.

Old 10-13-2007, 02:13 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

I have noticed with the buy 3 get one free that the price of each tire somehow increases

Old 10-13-2007, 11:15 PM
beachmstr

thats how they cover there cost of the mount and balance of the tires and the cost of giving that 4th tire away for free. Thats what I got from talking to them. So who knows.

Quick Reply: Biggest tires for stock 17X7.5 rims