Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Need help with fuel shut-off not staying open after starting. Please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 09:53 AM
fatbull
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with fuel shut-off not staying open after starting. Please.

Hi guys.
I used to be an active member, and along came baby, so *poof* went my time.
Anyway, I am re-registered and back - because I'm having problems.
I have a '96 Cummins. Hubby was driving it the other day and the fuel solenoid just disengaged. When I got it home, it needed a new solenoid (was NOT mechanical failure, hubby hot-wired it open to get the truck home and wired the "pull" instead of the "hold") and the fuel shut-off relay was terribly corroded, so I got a new one. Got them installed and presto, nothing. Same problem.
When you turn the truck over, the solenoid actuates like it should, but as soon as you get off the starter and drop the key back into the run position, the solenoid shuts off. There's no power to the "hold" coming thru the shutoff relay.
Pulled the ignition relay last night and used an ohm meter (not real familiar with these) and could not get anything to travel thru it and register, but as I say, I'm barely familar with an ohm meter, so that could be 100% user error there. For kicks, I pulled the shut-off relay, too, and got readings thru it just fine.
Is there something in that ignition relay that feeds power to the "hold" of the shut-off relay?
So, I'm off to buy a new ignition relay, which, logically, seems it about has to be bad, but - everything else is working on ignition, so... And I'm going to try to get wiring diagrams from the Dodge dealer.
Oh, and the tach and speedometer are not working, also. However, when we forced power thru the "hold" of the shut-off relay, the tach was working.
Any thoughts?

Old 10-23-2007, 10:14 AM
Super Dave
Veteran
Default RE: Need help with fuel shut-off not staying open after starting. Please.

ORIGINAL: fatbull

Oh, and the tach and speedometer are not working, also. However, when we forced power thru the "hold" of the shut-off relay, the tach was working.
Any thoughts?
I think you are on the right track there. I bet the tach and the solenoid are on the same circuit.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:16 AM
92oilburner
Professional
Default RE: Need help with fuel shut-off not staying open after starting. Please.

I assume you checked all your fuses first?

Old 10-23-2007, 10:18 AM
fatbull

Yeah, checked all fuses, checked all the relays in the fuse box and all that jazz, all seems well.

Or, guess I should say all the ones I could find - not to say there's not one hidden I missed.

Quick Reply: Need help with fuel shut-off not staying open after starting. Please.