Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Transmission issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 05:22 AM
mbenoy119
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission issue

Hello, I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the problem I see once in a while. I have a 2004.5 CTD with an Automatic Tranny. I have owned the truck since new and it has been AWESOME! Here is what is happening sometimes. When I shift from Reverse to Drive, the transmission seems to go "out of sync". It will shift funny, both up and down. If I put it in Park and back to drive, the problem goes away. Has anyone seen or heard of this? I'm thinking it must be an electrical or computer issue? It never does it randomly, only sometimes when shifted from R to D. I do have an Edge Juice/Attitude combo that has been on the truck for almost 100K that has started to act up sometimes. Only when towing or running it hard, it will lock up and quit working. Could this be the issue? Any help would be great. Thanks

Old 10-25-2007, 07:25 AM
triton
Record Breaker
Default RE: Transmission issue

sounds like you could use a reflash from the dealer. That sometimes can help with shifting issues. Your TQ could also be slipping which would be common for 100K with a power adder ( the Edge ). How is your tranny fluid ? Does it smell burnt ? If it is, change it and see what that does. Then I would try the reflash first and if that doesn't work.... it my be time to build the tranny.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:13 AM
NCcummins
Record Breaker
Default RE: Transmission issue

sorry to hear about the tranny, but its a dodge, everything else on these rigs is AWESOME and will last forever, INSEPT for the transmission! I have a 2002 with 110,000 on it, and as triton and some other know, it is slipping BAD! cant even pull good numbers on the dyno! I put it in the shop monday and get it back tomarrow. It has a triple disc TQ, VBX valve body, redline race clutch, bands, deep pan, and more for $2,200 build out of my stock transmission. just a thought, but you may want to look into a new TQ and also check what triton said before u get a new anything!

good luck!

Quick Reply: Transmission issue