Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

What do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 03:19 PM
BTCRUZ
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you guys think?

Took my '04.5 2500 CTD in today to have a brake job done (58,000 miles) as the pedal effort has gotten noticably harder and the brakes squeal like a ****. Also asked them to check the steering box to see if they can adjust it as there is quitea bit of play in it.

Well, they called me at lunch time and said the brakes are fine, plenty of pad left they said and no glazing. They also said the steering is tight. WTF?

I dunno if I should take their word for it or take somewhere else. The steering is definitely jacked. Any time I cross a centerline to pass it pulls hard one way then the other and I have steer back and forth to make up for the slop in the steering while going down the road (it wanders). I opened the hood and with the key turned forward enough to unlock it, truck not running I can turn the steering shaft back and forth almost a 1/4 turn before stops (assuming until it engages the gear in the steering box). The dealer is trying to say it is fine.

Brakes shouldn't squeal like that...it's loud, I mean REALLY loud and happens with a light brake application. I was told to just cleanout behind the wheel with a high pressure spray. I've already done that, it doesn't help.Plus the rotors are slightly warped which makesfor the ubiquitous vibration when braking, especially at speed.

What would you guys do?

Old 11-01-2007, 03:35 PM
solarwarp
Veteran
Default RE: What do you guys think?

Get your truck out of that shop as quickly as you can... without paying them for anything. Then take it somewhere else.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:36 PM
aka_chewy
All Star

i would definately bring it somewhere else. If you notice it, then it is happening. Just because the pads are fine doesn't mean there isn't something wrong with the breaks.

So, short answer made long, take it somewhere else.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:39 PM
BTCRUZ
Professional

Man, on a whim just started looking at delership inventory online...there's some sweet deals on left over 2007 models. I could potentially trade mine in on a 2007 with a 6.7L and 6-sp auto, but basically the identical truck other than that...same features, etc for prices less than I paid for my '04!! Oooohhh, it's tempting, real tempting.....

Old 11-01-2007, 03:57 PM
aka_chewy
All Star

that works too , I know a guy for his last 4 vehicles, when it's needed new tires, he's ended up buying a new truck. Seems to be a logical choice to me....

Old 11-01-2007, 04:11 PM
solarwarp
Veteran

Well, in that case, be sure and tell the trade-in guy that the service departmentjust gave your truck a check up and a good bill of health.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:21 PM
cujo
Captain

Since its non-warranty work (and not diesel related), find yourself a good independant shop and have them look at it.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:02 AM
BTCRUZ
Professional

Update:

Took the truck to a shop recommended by some local 4x4 club dudes. Interestingly, as far as the brakes go, got pretty much the same answer the stealership gave me. Guy said there's plenty of pad left, not glazed and no appreciable warp in the rotors (a tiny, tiny bit, but not much). He said same thing about the squeal too...clean it out with a water hose. So, I took truck home, got out the pressure washer and sprayed the crap out of the rotors, calipers, etc, etc. Sigh..no change. Brakes still squeal like a stuck pig. I may just pony up the $250 and get the fronts done anyway just to get rid of the squeal.

I asked about the steering and he did a little bit of checking and thinks there is play in the steering box, but he didn't have the time to try to adjust it (requires a lot of disassembly of front end to get to it).

Old 11-05-2007, 11:53 AM
brunner

funny thing....my buddy has an 04' that also has a squeal to it. He cleans his wheels with windex and he thinks that is what causes the squeal. We've had his brakes apart a couple of times and found nothing.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:04 PM
BTCRUZ
Professional

I'm thinking of maybe roughing up the pad surfaces a little, kinda like they do when they de-glaze them. Maybe also hit the rotors lightly with some 1500 grit paper and see what that does.

As for the steering, I dunno. No matter what, it's gonna be a bugger to get to the adjustments on top of the streering box (assuming there are even any adjusters there). I do want to lift the truck and intend to go with a Thuren track bar and crossover steering setup, but that's not gonna happen any time soon. I just want my nice, tight steering back.

Quick Reply: What do you guys think?